TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   G day mate's and Matilda's (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=39334)

Brizze August 19th, 2004 12:15 PM

G day mate's and Matilda's

Hi Everyone,

My wife and i are planing a 4-5week trip to Australia in december, maybe
that is! Because i have read a couple of places that december is not the
best month to visit AU.

1. because australians themselves are on their long christmas vacation and
therefore, making it almost impossible to find a place to sleep etc.
2. because of the huge amount of box jellyfish, that makes it
life-threatening to go bathing north of Brisbane.

So i would very much like to hear from Australians or people who have been i
AU in december, who can tell me if this is all nosence or if there is some
truth in it.
I visited this beautiful country the first time in march 2000 and it was
just perfect. Therefore i would like to avoid getting a bad experience by
going the wrong time of year, so please help me by responding here, or
direct on my email

Thanks a lot
Brian/Copenhagen/Denmark

A Mate August 19th, 2004 01:29 PM

Brian - It is true that December is super peak summer holiday time. Schools
are enjoying their looooong summer vacation; factories are generally shut
down - and it's fun time!!! Prices for accommodation are at the highest for
the year - and vacancies are few!!!

Stingers are not really a problem!! They can be about!! But! Popular beaches
in the stinger areas are netted - using special nets designed by James Cook
University - and daily beach bulletins advise the risk in un-netted areas -
usually low to non-existent, depending on the wind direction and strength!!
If you want peace and relative quiet - February onwards is much better - or
alternatively - October/November!
Australians tend to find the water too cold after Easter - but
Europeans!!! - Who Knows!! Even in mid-winter in Queensland; water
temperature rarely drops below 19C.

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Bego Mario Garde August 19th, 2004 02:38 PM

A Mate wrote:
... Schools are enjoying their looooong summer vacation; ...

Oh, reminds me on a flight from Sydney to Brisbane. It looks like we
picked the first day of vacations and our Virginblue-flight was cramped
with "Schoolies" on their way to the Gold Coast. Quite an experience ...
:-)

Bego

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm
our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

A Mate wrote:
... Schools are enjoying their looooong summer vacation; ...

Oh, reminds me on a flight from Sydney to Brisbane. It looks like we
picked the first day of vacations and our Virginblue-flight was cramped
with "Schoolies" on their way to the Gold Coast. Quite an experience ...
:-)

Bego

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm
our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Julie August 20th, 2004 01:27 AM

Brian,

I agree. If you can, give December a miss. Autumn is definitely a better
time. March/April would be ideal. If you are likely to be here over Easter
it would probably be a good idea to book some accommodation for that time.

Dec, Jan & Feb are very hot north of Brisbane. September, October and
November can be very windy also.

Julie

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
[...]

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
[...]

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Brizze August 20th, 2004 08:32 AM

Hi again,

Thanks for your answers.
We only have december and maybe the first week of january.
But is it mostly the east-coast thats crowded ?
When i first went to AU i was told that if one only has a month to see AU
you should choose the east-coast.

But Australia is a big place :) so what about Darwin, and the south-west
coast ? is it possible to see the sights here, like kakadue, Ayers, Uluru,
and what else? on a month without spending most of the time in a bus or a
plane?
And if so can somebody recomend a good route ?

Thanks Brian

"Julie" skrev i en meddelelse
Brian,

I agree. If you can, give December a miss. Autumn is definitely a better
time. March/April would be ideal. If you are likely to be here over

Easter
it would probably be a good idea to book some accommodation for that time.

Dec, Jan & Feb are very hot north of Brisbane. September, October and
November can be very windy also.

Julie

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
[...]

. ..

"Julie" skrev i en meddelelse
Brian,

I agree. If you can, give December a miss. Autumn is definitely a better
time. March/April would be ideal. If you are likely to be here over

Easter
it would probably be a good idea to book some accommodation for that time.

Dec, Jan & Feb are very hot north of Brisbane. September, October and
November can be very windy also.

Julie

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
[...]

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Anne Chambers August 20th, 2004 08:35 AM

"Julie" skrev i en meddelelse

Brian,

I agree. If you can, give December a miss. Autumn is definitely a better
time. March/April would be ideal. If you are likely to be here over

Easter

it would probably be a good idea to book some accommodation for that time.

Dec, Jan & Feb are very hot north of Brisbane. September, October and
November can be very windy also.

Julie

"A Mate" wrote in message
.au...

[...]

. dk...

--
The privacy.net address is a spam trap. Please reply to