Showing results 1 to 25 of 94
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: JamesStep
Forum: USA & Canada December 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
Posted By JamesStep
Four Star Hotels in NYC-Manhattan

Shopping tips for womens clothing.

You'd need to be more specific about her budget, style preferences,
age group, etc. (Unless she just wants a big department store.)
Forum: Air travel November 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 5
Posted By JamesStep
MSY Airport Transportation to downtown hotels

You might want to check with your hotel, as they might have shuttle
service and/or transportation recommendations.

James
Forum: Air travel November 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 10
Posted By JamesStep
Pressurized cans in checked baggage

Luggage compartments are normally pressurized (although not to sea-
level pressure) and heated. Don't forget that dogs & other pets are
sometimes shipped that way.

But rough handling by a baggage...
Forum: USA & Canada November 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 5
Posted By JamesStep
Dining out in Manhattan NYC

cheap or good cafe's, etc in this area.

Perhaps someone here will have some suggestions, but you might want to
just ask the concierge or front desk clerk at your hotel. I'm sure
they're asked that...
Forum: USA & Canada November 12th, 2009, 06:12 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
How are things in New Orleans these days?

Speaking of tours, I highly recommend the French Quarter walking tour
offered by the Friends of the Cabildo (a non-profit group). The 2-hour
walking tour is led by licensed guides & has an emphasis...
Forum: USA & Canada November 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
How are things in New Orleans these days?

I've seen enough mentions of Oak Alley to send
me to the web sites mentioned earlier so that I
can check it out. *I've not done a plantation tour.

There are several plantations in the New...
Forum: USA & Canada November 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
How are things in New Orleans these days?

I would appreciate current feedback from tourists or residents.

The tourist areas are pretty much back to normal, as are the
plantations outside the city (like Oak Alley).

New Orleans definitely...
Forum: USA & Canada October 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 16
Posted By JamesStep
Taste of Florida?

Sanibel... would be another good choice

A retired relative of mine visits Sanibel almost every winter. It's
ranked as one of the best places in the world for collecting sea
shells, which wash up...
Forum: USA & Canada October 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 16
Posted By JamesStep
Taste of Florida?

We're an older couple without kids so things like
Disney World doesn't sound appealing

Just wanted to mention that there are portions of Disney World that
can be very enjoyable for adults, and...
Forum: USA & Canada October 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By JamesStep
Route 66

Thinking of travelling from Australia to US for the first time...
the old route 66 travelling from west to east, then
from Chigaco to NYC then back home.

Steve, since this is your first trip...
Forum: USA & Canada October 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Replies: 6
Posted By JamesStep
Driving from Calgary to Houston between Nov-Jan

Are snow tires necessary?

Winter tires can definitely give you more control. But if you may move
to Houston, a more practical choice might be to get some new all-
season tires that have high...
Forum: USA & Canada September 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 2
Posted By JamesStep
Grand Canyon tours for elderly

Just noticed that Grayline says regarding the West Rim...

we recommend that those requiring
wheelchair assistance consider the South Rim
Tour option [instead of West Rim]

I know your parents...
Forum: USA & Canada September 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 2
Posted By JamesStep
Grand Canyon tours for elderly

Hi, I am taking my 80 year old grand parents to tour the Grand Canyon
departing from Vegas in 3 weeks

First of all, it's great that you're taking your grandparents there.
It'll be a wonderful...
Forum: USA & Canada September 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 73
Posted By JamesStep
Cashing Travellers checks in USA

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

I don't think stores ever charged me a fee when I used cheques to pay
for purchases years ago; they treated...
Forum: Air travel September 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
TSA Compliant Toiletry Bag???

Nothing other then a ziplock bag is acceptable

This may sound like nitpicking, but actually the TSA doesn't say
"ziplock", they say "zip-top".

"Ziplock" makes people think of the disposable...
Forum: Air travel September 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
TSA Compliant Toiletry Bag???

So the bags being offered with the travel sized
bottles are not acceptable...

A toiletry bag is acceptable if it is clear, quart-sized, and has a
zipper top. Containers inside must be 3 ounce or...
Forum: USA & Canada August 26th, 2009, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
Posted By JamesStep
California - where to go/what to see?

We want to enjoy it all when we go on our trip,
from the beaches to bars/clubs to a coastal drive
to sightseeing and quaint shops, etc. etc.

Five days sounds like a lot, but it'll go by...
Forum: USA & Canada August 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 17
Posted By JamesStep
Virginia foliage ??

this one is what I needed http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fall/index.shtml...

Good. Hope you enjoy the fall foliage; I'm sure it'll be beautiful.
Forum: USA & Canada August 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 17
Posted By JamesStep
Virginia foliage ??

when should I plan on driving thru Virginia

Bobb, there are web sites that predict the optimum times for fall
foliage. A Google search for "Virginia Fall Foliage" should turn up
several.

Also, at...
Forum: USA & Canada August 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 11
Posted By JamesStep
For how long must your CDN passport be valid when entering theUS?

Who on earth would ever think that any delay
in returning to Canada from the US would ever
take more than 1 extra day, let alone 8

It's very unlikely but does happen occasionally. For example...
Forum: USA & Canada August 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Posted By JamesStep
Hotels with Free Internet access

John, many motels offer it these days. But if you were happy with
Holiday Inn Express, you might just want to stick with them as they
are also in the states you're planning to visit.

James
Forum: USA & Canada July 31st, 2009, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 12
Posted By JamesStep
Medical emergency in USA? ? ?

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care?
I'd estimate it cost at least $50,000.

Since a huge sum of money is involved, I wouldn't rely on newsgroup
posts for advice. Your friend...
Forum: USA & Canada July 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 15
Posted By JamesStep
SF tours and shuttle info needed

2. Are city tours available nearby?

Many tours are available. I took the Grayline tour many years ago and
enjoyed it.

San Francisco has a great public transit system and it's fairly easy
to get...
Forum: USA & Canada July 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Posted By JamesStep
Trash this Group, Google !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still do - in German newsgroups it is a question of politeness
to do so, and you get filtered by many if you don't.
Maybe that's one of the reasons usenet still works over here?

Very...
Forum: USA & Canada July 19th, 2009, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Posted By JamesStep

filter the "junk" and it works fine. *

Yeah, but even after filtering out all the junk, we've still got the
basic problem that there's relatively little useful discussion these
days. And that's...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 94