Showing results 1 to 25 of 250
Search took 7.09 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jack Campin - bogus address
Forum: Europe June 11th, 2010, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 30
Currency exchanges in Budapest

Yes, yes, I know, I know. These days everyone uses ATMs. But my bank
charges such a hefty fee for using foreign ATMs that I have already
determined that I will save money by bringing cash...
Forum: Europe November 7th, 2009, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 1
A weekend in Edinburgh

Once again Ryanair has fooled me with their bogus sales, and conned me
into paying the princely sum of DKK 286.61 (~38 EUR) for a return
flight to Edinburgh. I'll arrive in the city on a Friday...
Forum: Europe November 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 50
Oberammergau

My wife and I will be hiking in the Dolomites in Sept 2010 and are
thinking of trying to get to Oberammergau to see the pagent. Have you
been? Should we try to drive there or park the car...
Forum: Europe October 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 3
Things to do around Christmas

We will be arriving to Brussels on Dec. 2nd and staying until Dec. 6th.
I was just wondering, other than the huge Christmas Market that begins
in November, are there any other Christmas related...
Forum: Europe October 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 18
Ireland Itinerary (LONG)

One scenic view stop was made in Cerne Abbas. It is famed for the Cerne
Giant - a striking, mysterious, 180-foot high figure cut into the chalk
downs overlooking the village
It...
Forum: Europe October 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM Posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Replies: 130
Heads up - Panorama tonight, BBC1 8.30pm

"Why Hate Ryanair?"

Crossposted to uk.transport.london?

Is Ryanair about to take over the Tube or something?

(Fares 5p for any distance, but 10 pounds a time to
use an escalator).

==== j a c k ...
Forum: Europe October 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 24
Questions

2) no european city of any size is car-free though there are some small
"villages" that are almost kinda sorta "car-free"...

Do islands count? there is Mont St. Michel, 4 km” island,...
Forum: Europe September 29th, 2009, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 18
Ireland Itinerary (LONG)

One scenic view stop was made in Cerne Abbas. It is famed for the Cerne
Giant - a striking, mysterious, 180-foot high figure cut into the chalk
downs overlooking the village

It might have...
Forum: Europe September 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 51
Naples Worthwhile?

Is Naples now a good walking-around city? Worth a couple of days?
Don't buy anything: many fake goods!

Some of us actually WANT to buy fake goods. (Last time I went
to Istanbul, a friend back...
Forum: Europe September 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Replies: 6
Malta bird hunt a 'crime scene'

Conservation groups have criticised the Maltese government for failing
to halt illegal hunting of protected birds during the island's autumn
season.
Malta's government has previously said it...
Forum: Europe September 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 18
Crew socks that dry quickly--e.g. for washing in a sink

What brand of socks can I buy (U.S.) that will dry quicker than
regular 100% cotton "crew socks [...]
Will be washing socks in sinks, and the cotton ones take forever
to dry. But I dislike...
Forum: Europe September 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 49
Limited walking

I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of...
Forum: Europe September 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 49
Limited walking

I'll be traveling with a friend who has MS and can't walk very far,
maybe a few blocks before she has to sit down and rest. Any
recommendations on where/how to travel with this kind of...
Forum: Europe September 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Trip Report - Serbia - Montenegro

"tim....." wrote:
So no comments yet. I hope that you're all reading (especially Jack!)

Had to cancel. Anybody want a trip report on the inside of the Edinburgh
Royal...
Forum: Europe August 31st, 2009, 10:09 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 74
Quick question on accommodations in France

Visa say:
"Some merchants in Europe have mistakenly refused to accept Visa cards
issued by U.S. financial institutions because the cards do not have an
embedded chip that can be read at...
Forum: Europe August 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway
Replies: 24
London Underground unfit for transporting cattle

I understand that the 35 degrees is a Daily Mail lie (no surprises
there then) to get the 'cattle' bit into the story. The real
temperature was 32 degrees.
I'm just puzzled why you...
Forum: Europe August 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 53
tripadvisor

Every single review posted by every single traveler is a subjective,
not objective, opinion. I'll shortly be posting several for New
Caledonia, if anyone is headed that way. For the net-cops...
Forum: Europe August 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 6
card/ATM incompatibilities, UK vs. Hungary & Romania

I had no problem using bank cards (mostly Visa Electron) in Hungary
last year. This year it was different. Very few banks in Budapest
had machines that accepted my card (this time I only used...
Forum: Europe August 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 6
card/ATM incompatibilities, UK vs. Hungary & Romania

I had no problem using bank cards (mostly Visa Electron) in Hungary
last year. This year it was different. Very few banks in Budapest
had machines that accepted my card (this time I only used a...
Forum: Europe August 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 46
Trip Reports Iceland

Next attraction is the volcano Dimmuborgir. Drive to the car park at the
base and walk up. The sign at the bottom says that it's 3.2 km, but it
doesn't look that far. It also takes less...
Forum: Europe August 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 112
Trip report - greece

I've never been to Greece, being put off by the language (which
always reminds me of a maths textbook). How good are they at
understanding English?

Depends on where you go. In Rhodes I found...
Forum: Europe August 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Trip Report - Serbia - Montenegro

Note that you definately cannot do (from an immigration pov) the route
MNE-KOS-SRB-MNE correct passport stamps or no stamps (you can do the reverse
provided that you don't want to go to SRB...
Forum: Europe August 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Trip Report - Serbia - Montenegro

So no comments yet. I hope that you're all reading (especially Jack!)

These have been extremely helpful. Two things that come to mind:

- you made things unnecessarily difficult for yourself by...
Forum: Europe August 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Cetinje accommodation

A web search for accommodation in Cetinje, Montenegro comes
up with exactly nothing.

Surely the place is big enough and popular enough to have
a hotel and a pension or two?

==== j a c k at c a m...
Forum: Europe August 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Replies: 84
thumb on the scale at airport check-in

A post from a well-known Scottish musician on the Footstompin forum:

: I'm off for a fairly long trip in October and i have to take a fair
: amount of luggage with me, i just bought some decent...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 250