Showing results 1 to 25 of 33
Search took 1.58 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: WPB
Forum: Europe November 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
From Vienna to Sofia (post-vacation)

Ah, Sarajevo was just too far and will have to wait for next time.
Something to look forward to.

Yes, I absolutely had the famous wine in Eger. At my hotel (the wonderful
Senator Haz), you could...
Forum: Europe November 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
From Vienna to Sofia (post-vacation)

Hi, Gerry: Oh, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat! I would make a
few changes, of course:

1. No trains in Serbia. Only buses. I bought a first-class ticket
from Belgrade to Budapest. ...
Forum: Europe October 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
From Vienna to Sofia (post-vacation)

Hello, all: Just a brief note to thank everyone once again for all the
valuable advice that people were kind enough to share with me on my
vacation earlier this month. I posted a number of...
Forum: Europe September 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By WPB
Dubrovnik to Sofia: suggestions?

Thank you, Gerry! You're a wealth of information! All of your advice is
going to prove extremely useful on this trip. When I return in the last
week of October, I'll post a quick note to let you...
Forum: Europe September 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By WPB
Dubrovnik to Sofia: suggestions?

Hello, all: As always, thanks to everyone for their advice and input. My
trip is shaping up nicely. I have hotels booked in Vienna, Budapest and
Eger. Then I think I'll follow the advice I got...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

Thank you so much for such a thorough and informative reply! Your
recommendations are great in that some of them (like Szentendre and
Melk) definitely sound like they're off the beaten path. I...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

Hi, Sarah:

I was curious as to why you didn't mention Dubrovnik in your other
e-mail. It's breathtakingly beautiful, and a must if you're in the
neighborhood.

I had always considered the...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

I think that the problem is going to be too much to see in too little
time. Clearly I can't do both the western route AND the eastern route
in the three weeks I've got. I'm really torn about...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Thanks for the advice! The Prinz Eugen sounds good. And everyone seems
to agree about Sarajevo--it sounds like it would be the highlight of the
trip.

Thanks...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Thanks veyr much for the recommendation. I found the Hotel Victoria's
website and the pictures look beautiful. Wonderful view of the Danube at
night. A bit pricey (about $170 Canadian a night),...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Thanks for the advice. It's funny--in his reply to this post Gerry
suggested giving Sofia a day, but passing on Plovdiv. You're the other
way around! Heh--everyone has their own tastes. Well, I...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Eastern / Central Europe WAS very cheap (compared to Western Europe)
up until two or three years ago but these days, unless you're well off
the beaten path, there's not much difference...
Forum: Europe September 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Thank you for the tips! You're right--I wasn't thinking of Vienna as
eastern Europe. It's simply my launching off point. I'll see the big
Van Gogh exhibition and then leave because I've been to...
Forum: Europe September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

Hello, all: I've put up a couple of postings and everyone's been very
generous with their valuable advice for my upcoming trip. Next month I
leave for Vienna and then three weeks later return home...
Forum: Europe September 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By WPB
Hotels in eastern Europe -- Recommendations welcomed

Hello, all: I'm currently planning my trip next month to eastern Europe. I
begin in Vienna and end three weeks later in Sofia. No fixed plans for in
between, but thanks to some great comments in...
Forum: Europe June 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By WPB
Bulgaria tours -- information requested

Great suggestions! Thanks so much for your time and trouble.

David
Forum: Europe June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 2
Posted By WPB
Any suggestions for a Vienna to Sofia route?

Hello, all: About a month ago I posted a query about taking the train from
Vienna to Sofia (note that I spelled the name of Sofia correctly this time)
;-). Anyway, I received some good...
Forum: Europe June 5th, 2008, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By WPB
Bulgaria tours -- information requested

Oh, don't worry about it. I'm certainly not turned off Bulgaria. In fact,
yesterday I bought the Eyewitness Bulgaria guide which has me excited
because the photos are so wonderful. I was pleased...
Forum: Europe May 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By WPB
Bulgaria tours -- information requested

Hi, Sarah: Just a quick follow up to say that things with the tour didn't
go very well. Lyudmila sent me an invoice, but when I sent her a reply with
two more minor questions about the tour and...
Forum: Europe May 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

Good point. Except from Bratislava, you can't. Geographically
a train from Kosice to Miskolc would make sense but it doesn't
exist.

What about buses? Someone else in this newsgroup...
Forum: Europe April 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

It's an age thing: Sophia Loren.

Ah! I'm 43 and, for the first time in a long while, I feel young again.
Forum: Europe April 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

You wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of days in Bratislava.
If you go to Slovakia, get out of the capital and go to a smaller
town (I went to Banska Bystrica and Kosice and can...
Forum: Europe April 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

"Runge11" wrote in
:

If you expect to travel, maybe you should consider Sofia and not the
Loren girl

Sorry? Loren girl???
Forum: Europe April 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

That's because it's "Sofia"

(slaps forehead) Stupid mistake! Thanks very much!

David
Forum: Europe April 30th, 2008, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By WPB
A train from Vienna to Sophia?

Unfortunately that website doesn't include Sophia in its database. I
entered a search for Vienna and Sophia and it defaulted to Sophian-Kolb-
Str., Bayreuth. When I typed in "Sophia, Bulgaria" it...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33