Showing results 1 to 25 of 250
Search took 0.26 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mark Brader
Forum: Europe October 23rd, 2018, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 3
Posted By Mark Brader
Question about Oslo, Norway

"catalpa":
Why do you keep asking the same nonsense question?

He's been posting variations on it (either naming different cities,
or asserting that it has happened in different cities) for at...
Forum: Europe October 6th, 2017, 07:31 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 7
Posted By Mark Brader
Paris metro line 4 to line 12

Athel Cornish-Bowden:
Whatever you do don't take seriously the "entrance" to Châtelet that
you can find at the Mairie de Paris...

I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't referring to the...
Forum: Europe July 28th, 2016, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 20
Posted By Mark Brader
Travel with allergy in Europe

Wes Groleau:
Man doing crossword puzzle: "Only speaks one language"

Wife: "Monolingual"

Man: "M O N O ... no, too many letters"

Wife: "American"

Man: "Still too many."
Forum: Europe June 1st, 2016, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 2
Posted By Mark Brader
Gotthard Base Tunnel

Jack Campin:
Does the opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel mean the closure
of the present (apparently spectacular) rail route through the
Alps?

I don't know, but when they opened the...
Forum: Europe December 16th, 2015, 06:55 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 41
Posted By Mark Brader
Iceland: scenic driving advice?

Dan Stephenson:
The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise...

"Tim":
um, clock-wise?

Dan Stephenson:
Starting northwards from the capital, eastward on the northern side of
Forum: Europe November 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 8
Posted By Mark Brader
Manual or Automatic Rental in Countries that Drive on the Wrong(Left) Side of the Road

Steven Scharf:
While I like vacations where I can not have to have a car, in Ireland
you're kind of stuck renting a car if you want to go to anywhere
interesting. It can get expensive too,...
Forum: Europe March 13th, 2014, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 12
Posted By Mark Brader
heathrow-devon-scilly advice

Mark Brader:
Well, I'd be inclined to skip the Scilly Isles...

"Martin":
Have you been to the Scilly Isles?

Only for one day, and that on foot once we got there. Perhaps I should
have spoken...
Forum: Europe March 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 12
Posted By Mark Brader
heathrow-devon-scilly advice

Hi. I am planning to land at Heathrow in early June and have five days
to kill and instead of doing the usual in London, I was thinking of
taking a train to Devon, rent a car in Devon, staying...
Forum: Europe March 2nd, 2014, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 167
Posted By Mark Brader
Postage

Mark Brader:
...there was one more thing in the announcement:
(4) Within 5 years [Canada Post will] no longer deliver your mail
to where you live.

John T.:
You have to pay tax...
Forum: Europe February 28th, 2014, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 167
Posted By Mark Brader
Postage

James Silverton:
Europeans might be interested that most US first class stamps are
"Forever Stamps". That is, they can still be used even if the postal
rate is changed ( i.e. increased :-)...
Forum: Europe September 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 36
Posted By Mark Brader
on the subject of airports..

Frank Hucklenbroich:
What risk is bigger, having your pocket with the passport picked or being
asked for the passport by the police while it's safely in the safe at the
hotel room?

Having the...
Forum: Europe September 11th, 2013, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 36
Posted By Mark Brader
on the subject of airports..

Tom P.:
which reminds me of what happened to me some years back. I leave the
house one morning, walk over to the car in the driveway and this police
car suddenly drives up and surrounds...
Forum: Europe August 21st, 2013, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 67
Posted By Mark Brader
Phone booths (was: Cell phone for European travel)

Erick Barkhuis:
Statistics show, that the number of [phone booths] in Germany decreases,
but there are still about 50.000 such public phones available.

As a matter of interest, do most or all of...
Forum: USA & Canada August 13th, 2013, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Posted By Mark Brader
USA December trip recommendations?

Shawn Hirn:
How about visiting San Francisco for a few days, then drive along the
Pacific Coast Highway from there to San Diego? There are amazing natural
sights to see along the way and San...
Forum: Europe April 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 24
Posted By Mark Brader
Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

Jesper Lauridsen:
So Bath was the Sunday visit after first making a trek to
Vale Street in Bristol.

And how steep was it, in degrees, in percentage points, or your
other chosen unit? grin
--...
Forum: Europe April 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Dan Stephenson:
On second thought, I'm afraid the Alps and Venice are just too much to
fit into the time available, especially since March is the timeframe
and the passes will be closed to...
Forum: Europe April 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Dan Stephenson:
Oops, I got the gain-day versus loss-day swapped.

Just remember, the sun moves from east to west, so (clock) time moves
more slowly when you follow it. (And the International Date...
Forum: Europe April 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

"Martin":
The context was UK, where they are called motorways.

Mark Brader:
The context was...
Forum: Europe April 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

Jesper Lauridsen:
Why not "motorway"?

Mark Brader:
Why not? Also "superhighway", "limited-access...
Forum: Europe April 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Mark Brader:
the expressway (freeway, autoroute, autobahn, whatever) system in

Jesper Lauridsen:
Why not "motorway"?

Why not? Also "superhighway", "limited-access highway",...
Forum: Europe April 4th, 2013, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Dan Stephenson:
Friday - flight to Frankfurt, flight to USA
Sunday - arrive home

Jesper Lauridsen:
Saturday, surely.

Dan Stephenson:
Given departure time and time zone shifts, it's...
Forum: Europe April 4th, 2013, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Mark Brader:
As there are high-speed trains from Paris to Switzerland, it might also
be preferable to do the first part of the trip by train and then switch
to a car at a suitable...
Forum: Europe April 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 79
Posted By Mark Brader
London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Dan Stephenson:
I am an experienced traveller, but I'd like your advice for achieving
what I recognize to be a very compressed schedule...

Jesper Lauridsen:
I'm surprised you'll attempt...
Forum: Europe January 28th, 2013, 12:46 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By Mark Brader
Paris about 100 years ago

Mark Brader:
And... I thought I'd post it here.

Oops, wrong "here". Sorry about that, folks. Anyway, thanks for
posting the link, Jim.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is...
Forum: Europe January 28th, 2013, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe

I saw this self-explanatory URL posted to rec.travel.europe:

http://curiouseggs.com/extremely-rare-color-photography-of-early-1900s-paris/

And, considering the appearance of Greg's name, I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 250