Showing results 1 to 25 of 250
Search took 0.09 seconds.
Forum: USA & Canada June 24th, 2008, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
Overnight train without a bedroom

Before we rule out the train we are curious if taking six
children age 2-13 on a 35-hour train ride without
sleeping accomodations is feasible...

Ed, I have a friend who used to work for...
Forum: USA & Canada June 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Too much water - or not enough!

I agree with much of what you are saying. *In addition... there is
an enormous increase in semi-literacy. *

Yep, I agree.

Part of that is a reflection of society & education in general,...
Forum: USA & Canada June 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Too much water - or not enough!

Newsgroups in general are in sad shape, and most of the intelligent
discussion has moved to other forums. *:(
.
Where? *Can you mention some?

I can't point to specific ones; I was just...
Forum: USA & Canada June 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Too much water - or not enough!

Flame wars, and spam. Not much travel talk anyway.

Newsgroups in general are in sad shape, and most of the intelligent
discussion has moved to other forums. :(

James
Forum: USA & Canada June 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
I-70?

We are leaving in a few days for a trip mostly across I-70 ...
please let me know what conditions we might find.

Judy, when I've needed similar info I've often just phoned the Highway
Patrol...
Forum: USA & Canada June 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Help: Coeur d'Alene, ID and Seaside Oregon info

I like to stay in Coeur d'Alene for two nights...
Any suggestion for a good motel?

You might want to try the site below; they post consumer reviews of
hotels:

www.tripadvisor.com

Also, you...
Forum: USA & Canada June 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Too much water - or not enough!

Such a pipeline would have to cross some 10,000
foot mountain ranges and be dupmped into a lake a couple of
thousand feet higher than the source.

Yep; it just wouldn't be...
Forum: USA & Canada June 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Too much water - or not enough!

With the almost perrenial flooding in the Mississipi basin, and the
ever present need for more water in the southwest, why hasn't anyone
proposed a pipeline system to move some of the excess...
Forum: USA & Canada June 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

my semi educated guess is that at 7 in the morning you'll still be fairly
close to whatever the overnight low was...

Yes; in fact weather.com let's you see predicted temperatures hour-by-
hour,...
Forum: USA & Canada June 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

I can understand that... But it's pretty out of the way ...
to get there in a season in which all you can do is say
you've been there

I agree it's not the best time to visit DV, Dave, and that...
Forum: USA & Canada June 6th, 2008, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

I think Dave Hatunen got it *right. *It's a time of year to visit for
bragging rights...but in a cooler season you can appreciate
additional dimensions of it...

I agree completely. But even if...
Forum: USA & Canada June 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

gas is much more pricey .

I just did a quick Google and found a blog photo showing a DV station
selling it for $5.27 a gallon...
http://tinyurl.com/6983wu

[i]
Europeans - Germans in particular...
Forum: USA & Canada June 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
San Francisco to San Diego

I was trying to focus more on the San Francisco/ Wine Country area, but
he really wants to spend some time south around San Diego.

Well it's doable (the drive is about 10 hours if you drive...
Forum: USA & Canada June 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

Based on the feedback above, I think we'll spend...
a bit more time in the parks

If you enjoy parks you also might want to consider Point Lobos, which
has nice hiking trails with dramatic ocean...
Forum: USA & Canada June 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
San Francisco to San Diego

I am trying to plan my honeymoon for this September and we would like to
fly into San Francisco and drive down to San Diego on Hwy 1 as much as
possible. *Does anyone have any advice on the...
Forum: USA & Canada June 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

are we spending too much time in San. Fran?

No, in fact you'll probably wish you could stay longer.

You'll be there 3 days, which sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that
2 of those days are only...
Forum: USA & Canada June 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By [email protected]
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

through Death Valley

Death Valley will be extremely hot in August, so be sure to read the
safety advice at the official site, especially if you're thinking of
doing any hiking.

Vegas

It will...
Forum: USA & Canada June 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Sunday in Kansas City

Or, could it be that even with all my investigation,
there are museums open Sunday mornings?

Just a general comment that many places in the U.S. are closed or only
open for limited hours on...
Forum: USA & Canada May 30th, 2008, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Finding hotels with large suites

Can anyone suggest a hotel search
and reservation website that will locate
large suites? My wife and I have six children
and whenever I search a site such as Travelocity or
Expedia for a...
Forum: USA & Canada May 28th, 2008, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 26
Posted By [email protected]
Trip from San Francisco to Seatlle

For me Big Sur round-trip drive is the most
beautiful 100 mile drive in the country

Yeah, the coastline from Monterey to Big Sur is incredible. Wish I
could afford to live there. :)

James
Forum: USA & Canada May 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
helicopter and dinner in nyc

want to go on a Helicopter Tour. any suggestion?

I've never taken one myself, but go to TripAdvisor.com and do a search
for New York Helicopter and you'll find some consumer reviews.

James
Forum: USA & Canada May 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 26
Posted By [email protected]
Trip from San Francisco to Seatlle

drive SOUTH from San Fran to ... San Simeone.
I think that it's the most beautiful ride in the country. But it
would take a FULL day to drive down and back to San Francisco.

It's a...
Forum: USA & Canada May 26th, 2008, 02:23 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 26
Posted By [email protected]
Trip from San Francisco to Seatlle

We will be travelling in July from San Franciaco to Seattle by car. Any
recommendations about what not to miss?

Don't know if this will fit your route, but two big tourist
attractions north of...
Forum: USA & Canada May 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
California ToDo list (please comment)

LV - 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd ...
** Las Vegas **
- Grand Canyon
- Hoover dam
- The Strip
- Fremont street

To follow up on my previous post, I think you're doing way too much,
but here's...
Forum: USA & Canada May 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
California ToDo list (please comment)

Arriving: June 14th, LAX
Departure June 28th, LAX

Looks like you've done a lot of planning, and you've got a lot of nice
places on that list. But you're trying to do too much.

For example, you...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 250