Showing results 1 to 25 of 25
Search took 0.85 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]
Forum: USA & Canada March 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Vacation travel tips for Washington D.C.?

Is D.C. family friendly? * I know its not Walt Disney World so little
kids might get bored looking at monuments etc.

How old the kids are, and what they're interested in, is about 110%
of how...
Forum: USA & Canada February 9th, 2011, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 12
Wifi in USA hotels?

It varies a lot, and I'm not sure you can really make generic
statements about it unless a website for either the chain or the
specific property makes it explicit. Many hotels (especially...
Forum: USA & Canada January 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 15
1 week tour from San Diego: recommendations?

The Chiricahuas have some nice hiking. *

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-oddspots-pg,0,1697008.photogallery
has a picture of some scenery there (#4), and other pix of a few other
places...
Forum: USA & Canada January 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 15
1 week tour from San Diego: recommendations?

The Gila Cliff Dwellings were much,
much less touristy than the similar artifacts in Mesa Verde and we were
allowed to visit as individuals rather than being herded through in a group.
Forum: USA & Canada July 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 3
Summer weather in Bay Area

The San Francisco area tends to be hottest in Sept/Oct. Why is that,
since most places in the US are hottest in June - August? Is it just
the wind coming from the SW?

There's an excellent...
Forum: USA & Canada June 4th, 2010, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Replies: 12
Delta Sucks

You were on business and you flew. What more do you want?
It's a bus that flies, all the rest is propaganda...

Beg to differ. Even when the computers are uncooperative, a storm
somewhere has...
Forum: USA & Canada May 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 15
grand canyon area

I read that the average stay is 4 hours which seemed strange to me

Yes, that does sound like what a friend of mine calls a "California
vacation" -- walk around a little, take some pictures, and...
Forum: USA & Canada May 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 0
LA Times on undiscovered national monuments

Hope this makes it through the spam storm... The LA Times has some
nice blurbs on the best National Monuments you probably haven't seen
and may not have even heard of. I've been to a few... makes...
Forum: USA & Canada February 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 2
Kachina Peaks Wilderness Pictures - Coconino County, AZ

I never have been to that part of
Arizona, I have been to Goodyear and it was hot and dry in August. Can
you recommend the best time to visit the park?

Pending a reply from the original...
Forum: USA & Canada January 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Los Angeles - Pasadena/Alhambra area

There are crime problems everywhere in LA.
* *There are crime problems everywhere.

All very true, but don't forget about the statistician who didn't know
how to swim -- drowned in a river with...
Forum: USA & Canada November 9th, 2009, 11:27 PM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 16
Best way to book flights to/in the US?

One nice thing about this type of itinerary is that they might have a
favorable Business Class option available, at least on the long haul
segments.

A good point -- I just spent a total of 14...
Forum: Air travel November 9th, 2009, 11:27 PM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 17
Best way to book flights to/in the US?

One nice thing about this type of itinerary is that they might have a
favorable Business Class option available, at least on the long haul
segments.

A good point -- I just spent a total of 14...
Forum: USA & Canada November 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 5
Texas trip choices

An afterthought:
We like nature, museums, scenery and historic or architectural sites.

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/
Forum: Air travel November 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 17
Best way to book flights to/in the US?

The degree to which your itinerary involves Canada lets out some of
the discount airlines. If ground transportation to/from Vancouver
works for you, the Seattle airport might open up more such...
Forum: USA & Canada November 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 16
Best way to book flights to/in the US?

The degree to which your itinerary involves Canada lets out some of
the discount airlines. If ground transportation to/from Vancouver
works for you, the Seattle airport might open up more such...
Forum: USA & Canada November 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 5
Texas trip choices

We like nature, museums, scenery and historic or architectural sites.

I'd then emphasize time in the "Hill Country," Austin, and San
Antonio; and a more southerly route. South Padre Island, 'way...
Forum: USA & Canada November 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM Posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 10
United Airlines loses luggage

When we looked closely at the baggage stub it was clear that they
had sent my bag to Boston. I got it back 3 days later.

How many of us take a moment to look at their stub? I don't,...
Forum: Europe November 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM Posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 23
United Airlines loses luggage

When we looked closely at the baggage stub it was clear that they
had sent my bag to Boston. I got it back 3 days later.

How many of us take a moment to look at their stub? I don't,...
Forum: Air travel November 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM Posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 19
United Airlines loses luggage

When we looked closely at the baggage stub it was clear that they
had sent my bag to Boston. I got it back 3 days later.

How many of us take a moment to look at their stub? I don't,...
Forum: USA & Canada October 30th, 2009, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 16
Taste of Florida?

I think definitions of "the real Florida" are fractal, and don't
claim to be an expert on them. Not a bad place to start is
http://www.visitflorida.com/ -- it'll orient you to the...
Forum: USA & Canada October 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Route 66

Yep. *The original posting said 2-3 weeks. *That's doable, but there's
plenty more to see if you can take more time over it.

I'd agree that 2 weeks is reasonable though 3 would be better. LA...
Forum: USA & Canada October 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Route 66

Fantastic, you have all been very helpful and made me even more determined
to do this trip.

About the only thing you can do wrong is fail to allow enough time,
including some time to get *off*...
Forum: USA & Canada October 22nd, 2009, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada
Replies: 6
Driving from Calgary to Houston between Nov-Jan

Avoid taking the I-40 route through Arizona and New Mexico. It's high
desert. *Flagstaff at 7,000 feet (2300 meters) above sea level is Alpine
climate, and gets sizable snow falls. *That whole...
Forum: USA & Canada September 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
California - where to go/what to see?

Pretty good time of year to visit San Francisco, not that there's
really a bad one. http://www.sfgate.com, http://www.sfbg.com,
http://www.sfweekly.com, and http://www.eastbayexpress.com will...
Forum: USA & Canada June 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 53
Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

I've been happy with Rodeway Inn as cheap decent places go. In my
rather less than exhaustive experience they have free high-speed
Internet, and they give frequent flyer points on an airline where...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 25