Showing results 1 to 25 of 250
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Giovanni Drogo
Forum: Europe October 12th, 2017, 09:47 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 17
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
November weather ...

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017, wrote:

He wants cities. What about Kiruna?

or Kirkenes ? :-)
Forum: Europe July 13th, 2017, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 32
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Sicily A report from Andalucia, July 2017

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, tim... wrote:

a van). The islands (Vulcano, Lipari, Panarea and Stromboli are the ones
I visited, the others are farther) are definitely worth visiting.

I hadn't...
Forum: Europe July 13th, 2017, 09:09 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 32
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Sicily A report from Andalucia, July 2017

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, tim... wrote:

I scheduled a two week holiday which I spent in the very south of
Italy and on the Island - travelling by train.

You were very brave (*). The...
Forum: Europe July 12th, 2017, 10:08 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 32
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Sicily A report from Andalucia, July 2017

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, tim... wrote:

I first (and only) visited Sicily in 82 when I was working a year in
Italy

Well, as far as tourism is concerned when I was in Sicily I did it with
organized...
Forum: Europe May 22nd, 2017, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 7
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Sicily in the refugee era

But I'm wondering about the effect of the refugee crisis.

I would guess tourists won't be affected, and not in Sicily any more
than other parts of Italy

Not aware of any refugee camps or...
Forum: Europe September 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 81
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Rhein cruises

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016, -hh wrote:

Also stayed in Rothenburg ob der Tabor ..

In three tents ? :-)
Forum: Europe June 30th, 2016, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 13
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Burgos to UK or Ireland on short notice

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and
have to be out of Schengen on 4 July.

Why don't you go to Gibraltar or to the...
Forum: Europe April 28th, 2016, 08:54 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 5
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
searching for a flight to the UK FROM Budapest

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Jack Campin wrote:

I want to fly back to the UK from Budapest in mid-July.

Do you know this site http://www.flightconnections.com/
Forum: Europe March 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 14
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

With a night train I can leave after work (possibly after supper)
and arrive in the morning say before 8am so that I can start a work
meeting at 9am.

Forum: Europe March 18th, 2016, 09:23 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 14
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs
AND keep the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

They may sound romantic bt...
Forum: Europe February 29th, 2016, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Yes, except that Malpensa is an aborted major airport. And hotels I was
aware of were displaced towards Gallarate and the motorway.

How is it...
Forum: Europe February 25th, 2016, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Afternoon Delight

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Many airports now have rooms-by-the-hour

In early '900 many cities in Italy had one or more "albergo diurno"
(lit. "day hotel"), near stations or in...
Forum: Europe February 23rd, 2016, 11:28 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

A Frecciarossa to...
Forum: Europe February 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

You have to...
Forum: Europe February 1st, 2016, 10:33 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 35
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Traveling on one-way tickets

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016, Ken Blake wrote:

Sometimes at land boundaries the check doesn't even exist. I have
walked from France (Menton) to Italy (Ventimiglia) and back without
even being...
Forum: Europe December 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 41
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Iceland: scenic driving advice?

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Jack Campin wrote:

to try it in Iceland, even with a tent. (You are quite likely to end
up somewhere you'd a need a rock drill to get the pegs in).

Not necessarily, there...
Forum: Europe December 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 41
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Iceland: scenic driving advice?

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

Starting northwards from the capital, eastward on the northern side of
the island, etc..

We did the opposite, not by our choice. I am trying to...
Forum: Europe December 16th, 2015, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 41
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Iceland: scenic driving advice?

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

I would research hotels in the "next town" *before* ...
something like that will work for Iceland?

No idea, but Iceland is sparsely populated, the...
Forum: Europe December 14th, 2015, 10:12 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 41
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Iceland: scenic driving advice?

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

Hopefully not this season.

The generally plan is to circuit the island ...

Does anyone know, are there...
Forum: Europe December 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:

Often in winter Milan is covered in fog when the rest of the area
isn't.

Hmm ... your experience is possibly a bit dated.

Fog, specially thick fog (at...
Forum: Europe December 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Studying Catalan would have been a lot more help. Bergamasque is
part of the nameless extended dialect-family-cum-language that
extends from the...
Forum: Europe December 10th, 2015, 10:58 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:

Not when it is foggy. Linate is next to a lake a former pre-war
seaplane base. Lakes tend to get foggy in winter.

Idroscalo !...
Forum: Europe December 9th, 2015, 10:44 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from the
center of Milan,

Linate is indeed about 10 km from the centre of...
Forum: Europe December 4th, 2015, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Tom P wrote:

Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from the
center of Milan,

I wouldn't call 50km "close". Frankfurt International is 14km from...
Forum: Europe December 2nd, 2015, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 56
Posted By Giovanni Drogo
Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:

Milano (Bergamo) ? :-)

An old pun of a company flying from Linate was

Milano sul serio ("for serious")
non Orio al Serio ("Orio upon [river] Serio")
Showing results 1 to 25 of 250