Showing results 1 to 25 of 65
Search took 0.21 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Doug Smith W9WI
Forum: USA & Canada February 15th, 2007, 06:45 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Nashville and Memphis hotels and attractions

Nile wrote:
Park, Franklin, and the Hermitage will all require a car. A light rail
line just opened but I don't believe it connects to any of those places.

The light rail line runs from...
Forum: USA & Canada February 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Nashville and Memphis hotels and attractions

Sarah Banick wrote:
Doug and Nile obviously know the city better than I do (I'm from East
Tennessee), but I think the choice of Opryland vs. downtown depends on your
age, interests, etc. The...
Forum: USA & Canada February 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Nashville and Memphis hotels and attractions

Keith wrote:
I knew Doug would be replying, because when I did a google groups
search, he "poisoned" the search results with "Nashville" in
his .sig. :) I'm glad he did! :)

well - nobody's...
Forum: USA & Canada February 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 5
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Fastest way to drive from Toronto, ON to Portland, ME?

pltrgyst wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:45:26 +0900, "gerrit" wrote:

As far as the speeding thing is concerned - DON'T

Why on Earth not? You want to cause an...
Forum: USA & Canada February 13th, 2007, 06:32 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Nashville and Memphis hotels and attractions

Nile wrote:
In
Nashville, Opryland Hotel would be OK but is suburban and distant from
everything. The Hermitage hotel, and the higher-end chains, are all
downtown.

I guess growing up in...
Forum: USA & Canada February 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Question for Canadians

Everyboysmomma wrote:
Business is planning a CAT trip to Nova Scotia from Maine. One of the
employees says her SO can not go to Canada because he has 2 OUI arrests
in USA. Does anyone...
Forum: USA & Canada February 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 13
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Nashville and Memphis hotels and attractions

Keith wrote:
I'll be traveling to Tennessee in May. I need some 3* and 4* hotel
recommendations for both Nashville and Memphis. Internet access is a
necessity, preferably free wireless. I'm...
Forum: USA & Canada February 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 8
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Detroit to Chisasibi road trip advice needed

wrote:
Border crossings can be a real crapshoot. Crossing into Canada is
usually much quicker than into the US. I've actually had a choice of
completely empty lanes when...
Forum: USA & Canada February 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 8
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Detroit to Chisasibi road trip advice needed

wrote:
An alternative route to North Bay would be to go up I-75, cross at
Sault Ste. Marie, and proceed west on highway 17 to North Bay. This
is considerably further, and...
Forum: USA & Canada January 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 132
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Passport requirement confusion

On 2007-01-29 00:50:44 -0500, "sharx35" said:

Greg, I see no problem with strict passport requirements for ANY
travel across ANY international...
Forum: USA & Canada January 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 1
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Passport requirement confusion

Greg Rozelle wrote:
The tourism bureaus Canada, Mexico, Bahamas and some other islands
are pushing for passcards for land and sea travel. The problem is
that department of state and the...
Forum: USA & Canada January 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 132
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Passport requirement confusion

Rog' wrote:
I do not fathom the reluctance that many of my fellow USA'ers have
to spending the little amout of time and money to pick up a license to
travel the globe, which is good (as this...
Forum: USA & Canada January 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Tour in the North USA

Francesco77 wrote:
Hi to all,

my name is Francesco and I write from Turin (Italy).
I and my future wife are planning our wedding-trip in the north of the
USA.
We will go in the USA in...
Forum: USA & Canada January 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Atlanta/Alabama

Frank F. Matthews wrote:
Of course he said that he liked the outdoors & photography. You did
mention across the mountains. Now they are small mountains but they are
fairly...
Forum: USA & Canada January 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Atlanta/Alabama

Graham Harrison wrote:
I've got a weekend in Atlanta in early February. Been there before so I'm
thinking I might get out of the city. I'll be staying in the Galleria
area.

It's not...
Forum: USA & Canada January 14th, 2007, 05:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Advice for UK tourist on temporary use of cell phones to ringwithin Florida?

wrote:
When we were in Florida last year we brought some walkie talkies from
one of the many electrical outlets in the states. They are very cheap
about $20 and are great...
Forum: USA & Canada January 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 0
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
AA holds passengers hostage in airplane for 9 hours

something awful in the air wrote:
Trip to Dallas turns into flightmare

Weather diverts planes, leaving passengers trapped for up to nine
hours

That *is* unbelievable.

At least they were...
Forum: USA & Canada January 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 14
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Why I love Seattle - my adopted city

Carole Allen wrote:
yes, it rains 380 (LOL) days a year! Anyone see the Seahawk-Green Bay
game late November when it snowed? It looked like Wisconsin. Tonight

No it didn't: it doesn't snow in...
Forum: USA & Canada January 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Replies: 26
List of Radio Stations with regular traffic reports

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Perhaps you're thinking of KGO (AM 610)?

KGO is on 810.

The station on 610 in SF is religious.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

AEngineerDU wrote:
What I'd love is a list (I'd even be willing to compile it in a
database and put it on the web) with the following information so that
we can get reasonable information while...
Forum: USA & Canada December 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
CTC marketing Holiday scam [a little OT]

Sapphyre wrote:
I understand them ignoring the nation-wide do not call lists... but I
thought most organizations kept a list of their customers who did not
want phone solicitations.

Here,...
Forum: USA & Canada December 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 6
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
LA studio audience tickets

Shawn Hirn wrote:
Tickets to live TV shows are free because the FCC prevents the TV
studios for charging for them, and many shows depend on having an
audience. You can get show tickets at...
Forum: USA & Canada December 30th, 2006, 06:36 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 7
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
CTC marketing Holiday scam [a little OT]

Sapphyre wrote:
In Canada, that is not very well respected at all... I've heard three
times from an agency who i told to put me on the "do not call list",
but since I have a pre-existing...
Forum: USA & Canada December 30th, 2006, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 24
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Planning a 12-month-long road trip through U.S. and Canada

Hatunen wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:44:17 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

There is something to be said for taking the northern route to Traverse
City. From...
Forum: USA & Canada December 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 24
Posted By Doug Smith W9WI
Planning a 12-month-long road trip through U.S. and Canada

Russell Patterson wrote:
From the look of your map, you might as well be using an airplane.
You seem to be avoiding all of the "flyover country" that is the real
America. The places that...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 65