Showing results 1 to 25 of 82
Search took 2.24 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Martin Bienwald
Forum: Europe March 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Athens metro time of travel

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) schrieb:
ah wrote:

I am landing in Athens airport at 9pm and I have to go to Piraeus. I see
that there is a metro from the airport...
Forum: Europe June 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Malta - the good and the bad - personal experiences

ger wrote:

Use the local bus services

ACK. (Bear in mind that the local bus services in Gozo don't go every few
minutes as they do in Malta. You'll need a timetable there.)

- buy a 1/3/5 day...
Forum: Europe May 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Marseille

Iceman wrote:

[Marseille]

Transportation - I just walked everywhere. Most of the tourist sights
and interesting neighborhoods and architecture are near the Vieux Port
or off La Canebiere,...
Forum: Europe May 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 5
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Rail Travel from Lille to anywhere

ron thomas wrote:

I meant can I just stroll along and buy a ticket to say Brussels or
would I have to pre-book. The weather may be inclement on the day or
I may not fancy a trip after all. ...
Forum: Europe May 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 7
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Getting to the Athens airport by 5am Sunday morning

Henry wrote:

My understanding is that the Athens metro does not start until 5:30am.
I will be travelling from central Athens to the airport on a Sunday
morning to catch a 6am flight. Is taxi...
Forum: Europe May 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 2
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Swedish Pronounciation

GirlALaMode schrieb:

Can someone try and explain to me how to say three or third in Swedish?

It looks like the word for Three is Tre
Is there a different word for third or is it the...
Forum: USA & Canada April 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin Bienwald
San Francisco Municipal Railway

George Grapman wrote:

The 9 lines terminate at Mission and Geneva leaving a gap from there
to Balboa Park and City College.

The gap has been closed now; the 9X/AX/BX lines have been extended...
Forum: Europe March 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 14
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Germany trip first week of April, any suggestions?

Alex Neri wrote:

The two agree that there's too much driving but based on the information he
posted, does he have any alternative? I don't think a train would be
practical

Why not?...
Forum: Europe March 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 33
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Hungarian currency

Deeply Filled Mortician wrote:

Not that I would bother with this going into Hungary. I bet you could
get away with Euros until you sorted out some Forints.

I doubt that a bus driver would...
Forum: USA & Canada March 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 35
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Bed & Breakfast in San Francisco

Hatunen wrote:
Martin Bienwald:

[MUNI "N" trams]

They run until about 12:30 am,

That strikes me as later than I remember it. Of course I left the
area six years ago and never was a late...
Forum: USA & Canada March 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 35
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Bed & Breakfast in San Francisco

Hatunen wrote:

It is easy, but takes some time. This is way out at Ocean Beach.
The nearest trasport will be the N-Judah line tram, whihc
terminates near the hotel, but it is a pretty long...
Forum: USA & Canada March 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 20
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Amtrak trains, ever late or delayed ?

James Silverton wrote:

It is rather spectacular just how miserable is Amtrak's time
keeping. Train 6 to Denver has a *minimum* lateness of about 3
hours and the maximum was over 13 hours!...
Forum: Europe March 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 33
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Belgian Police to step up speed checks

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

We don't have km in Britain!

Yes, you do. You just convert them to miles before covering the distance. :-)

.... Martin
Forum: USA & Canada February 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 23
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Any trains between NY and Ottawa ?

JTS wrote:
Any help appreciated from a European planning a trip from New York to
Ottawa by train, is there such a service ?

Apparently, you have to spend a night in Montreal on that trip:

Forum: Europe February 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Germany: Ten months, no money. What to do?

erilar wrote:
In article ,
"HeiligeGlut" wrote:

I've definitely also been
considering getting a bike. I like...
Forum: Europe February 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Germany: Ten months, no money. What to do?

HeiligeGlut wrote:

I have very broad interests. Mmm, wild nightlife doesn't really
interest me, and I won't have any money for shopping (I'd rather spend
any excess I manage on travelling...
Forum: Europe February 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 0
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Getting from LHR (London's Heathow Airport) to South Croydon

Kiran schrieb in rec.travel.europe:
Jim Ley wrote:

: The X26 bus to croydon, 2 quid without an oyster card, will get you
: close.

Tentatively this looks attractive....
Forum: Europe February 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 42
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Germany: Ten months, no money. What to do?

HeiligeGlut wrote:

How much is it going to cost me to live? I'd be happy with a room in
someone's attic, if I could find one, so think bare minimum
requirements for that question.

That...
Forum: Europe February 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 17
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Brugge/Bruges Belgium

wrote:

I would stay in either Gent or Antwerp and go to Brugge for a day.
Personally,
I think Brussels is over rated.

When going to Brussels, don't confine yourself to the...
Forum: Europe January 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 12
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Luggage checking in Belgian and Dutch r.r. stations?

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
Floris wrote:

I'm not sure...I suppose it will work with non-NL cards. The webiste
mentioned "PIN", "CHIP" and "MAESTRO". In...
Forum: Europe January 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 12
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Luggage checking in Belgian and Dutch r.r. stations?

Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

Is there still luggage checking in Belgian and Dutch r.r. stations?

Don't know about Belgium, but Dutch stations still seem to have...
Forum: Europe December 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 35
From Philadelphia to Amsterdam... costs?? $$

David Horne wrote:

All I'll add to this is that I once got terrified of the trams in
Amsterdam, thought they were chasing me personally

With Amsterdam trams, you can easily get that impression...
Forum: Europe December 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 0
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Train schedule from Ljubljana to Lucca

HH wrote:

I'm working on a train schedule from Ljubljana to Lucca. Since I'm not
traveling until May 2007, it's probably too early to begin worrying about
this schedule, but I'm curious...
Forum: Europe December 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 142
Posted By Martin Bienwald
500 Euro note

On 2006-11-22, tim(yet another new home) wrote:

Getting 100s in Germany is common.

I have never received a 100 euro note from a German...
Forum: Europe November 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 28
Posted By Martin Bienwald
Changing Deutsche marks into Euros ?

wrote:

Just having a clearout and found 280 DM in notes. Can I still change
these into Euros (I guess I need to be in Germany to do this) ?

You can change them for an...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 82