Showing results 1 to 25 of 86
Search took 0.09 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ad absurdum per aspera
Forum: USA & Canada March 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Route 66 and the Arctic circle

Here's a web site to start with:
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

Another good one: http://www.rt66nm.org/
New Mexico shows it off in two contexts: a still-existent (here...
Forum: USA & Canada January 29th, 2009, 04:02 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 23
Catalina Island in Winter

You are a wuss! I've swam in 45F water in Lake Chelan, Washington. No
problem.

Tastes do vary! This gives you an idea of how fast you'll turn how
blue in different...
Forum: USA & Canada January 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 21
American Roadtrip April 09

Most of the scenery you will see is miles and miles of sand, for as far
as the eye can see. I drove from Las Vegas to San Francisco and back
once. I promised myself I would never do it again....
Forum: USA & Canada January 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 23
Catalina Island in Winter

during Winter I am expecting it might be too chilly

They usually do get their rain in the winter, but the five- and ten-
day outlooks from the date of this posting are more or less a
recruiting...
Forum: USA & Canada January 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 2
Mississippi Cruises?

Dunno if anybody does the kind of trip you have in mind now that the
three Queens seems to have been trumped by one recession. As you've
learned, several of the major cities on the lower...
Forum: USA & Canada January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 28
A massacre in Los Angeles

This tragedy was pretty much irrelevant to travel/tourism, though. It
proved to have been an extremely personal matter, focused on the
estranged family and in-laws of the perpetrator.

Covina is a...
Forum: Air travel December 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 24
Giving up your seat for money

Does anyone have *the Canadian equivalent to the information reached at the
LINK down below?

Sorry about the implicit assumption that we're all playing by American
rules, which is, after all,...
Forum: Air travel December 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 24
Giving up your seat for money

Passed it up twice, both times because I *had* to be on the other end
for business reasons before the next available flight. One of those
times, Delta had overbooked by five passengers CVG-CDG and...
Forum: USA & Canada November 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 18
Non-traveler needing air travel advice

For a first time traveler or even an experienced traveler, your best bet
is a seasoned travel agent.

Sound advice -- especially as we come up on the traditionally very
busy Thanksgiving travel...
Forum: USA & Canada September 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 6
Things to do in Napa-Sonoma area

Like plants? Santa Rosa has the Luther Burbank Home and Gardens
(it's also possible to visit the farm up toward Sebastopol where he
did a lot of his...
Forum: Europe July 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Replies: 122
Women try to open door mid-flight

Given the report it seems likely that a custodial sentence may
be judged appropriate. Dangerous drunks who are abusive and
flout safety regulations need slapping down hard.

Perhaps at least...
Forum: Air travel July 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Replies: 65
Women try to open door mid-flight

Given the report it seems likely that a custodial sentence may
be judged appropriate. Dangerous drunks who are abusive and
flout safety regulations need slapping down hard.

Perhaps at least...
Forum: Europe July 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Replies: 38
Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way

it's not entirely unbelievable that they thought Bodrum
was just the airport 'on Lanzarote' that they were flying to.

I can see myself blundering into exactly the mistake you described.
Of...
Forum: Air travel July 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Replies: 38
Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way

it's not entirely unbelievable that they thought Bodrum
was just the airport 'on Lanzarote' that they were flying to.

I can see myself blundering into exactly the mistake you described.
Of...
Forum: Air travel July 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 22
Sydney to LA on American Airlines question

a ticket on the UA nonstop from Toronto
which is an AC codeshare. No go, had to be an actual US-flag plane,
so I had to take a connection.

They might be harder-nosed in the bit of the...
Forum: Air travel July 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 22
Sydney to LA on American Airlines question

Those stupid
codeshare flights, causing about three times as many flights as necessary
listing on airport departure and arrivals boards.

Yes, but from an AA frequent flier's...
Forum: Air travel July 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 32
elderly mom on Southwest

This page (and this site generally) tell all:
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/disability.html
and 1-800-IFLYSWA can answer any other questions you may have. The
following are anecdotal...
Forum: Air travel June 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 17
luggage

What airline, and what kind of flight?

Airline websites indicate that policies about carry-on weight vary:
a quick glance at some likely candidates shows limits of 40 pounds at
Delta and American;...
Forum: Air travel June 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 49
carry-on luggage

He wasn't referring to WN. Many of the airlines board in groups.

Southwest sorta boards in groups, just with more substructure than
they used to. You don't get a seat assignment, but you get...
Forum: USA & Canada June 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 19
Too much water - or not enough!

With the almost perrenial flooding in the Mississipi basin, and the
ever present need for more water in the southwest

The latter is pretty generically true. The former is not at all true
--...
Forum: USA & Canada June 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 4
I-70?

On Jun 13, 12:32*pm, Judy Heuman wrote:
We are leaving in a few days for a trip mostly across I-70. *Frankly,
I am concerned since I see storms, floods and tornadoes reported...
Forum: USA & Canada June 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 21
Can anyone tell me where this location is?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg
What sure looks like the same picture was in National Geographic a
couple of years ago, in an article called "Lake Powell Revealed."
Said revelation came from...
Forum: USA & Canada June 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

Buy an inexpensive thermometer (that goes up to at least 120F)
and take a photo of it.

Yes; the odds are poor that it'll get hotter than that, at least if
you take the temperature in the...
Forum: USA & Canada June 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

But even if it's not the ideal time to visit, it
can still be fun & educational, especially if the original poster has
never been there before.

True enough. And he'll presumably be doing this...
Forum: USA & Canada June 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Replies: 30
Road Trip - LA to San Fran to Vegas

Just curious - why not DV? Is it because it's intensely hot in Aug?

A good website to visit (peel back the URL a little and you'll find a
lot more good stuff)
http://www.nps.gov/deva/faqs.htm

I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 86