Showing results 1 to 25 of 69
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Dave Patterson
Forum: Air travel October 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 12
Posted By Dave Patterson
Ambien for flights?

I get about 5 hours of solid sleep from Ambien.
No hangover - but usually a little unsteady on my feet
when I first wake up. Have to be careful headed down
the aisle to the toilet.
Incidentally, it's...
Forum: Africa October 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave Patterson
Advertising on this site?

I've been away for some time from rec.travel.africa and am a little
surprised
to see commercialization to the extent it is showing up.
The 64 unread messages that were here when I came on today...
Forum: Air travel September 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 5
Posted By Dave Patterson
Consolidators or bucket shops for Africa

Depending on dates, you would find the lowest Consolidator fare from
Seattle
to Nairobi would be right at $1500. That's including $474 in taxes!

On KLM, the best fare to you should be about...
Forum: Air travel September 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 5
Posted By Dave Patterson
Consolidators or bucket shops for Africa

ITS Travel - in Phoenix - is a strong consolidator.. call them:
800-722-7312
Ask for Rainee (yes, like a 'rainy' day) or Steve. How do I know?
I was with them for 17 years - just retired. They can...
Forum: Air travel September 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM Posted to rec.travel.air
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave Patterson
2 for 1 airfares

I just received an offer from BA to get one of their credit cards, and
thus qualify for 2 for 1 in World Traveler Plus, Business, and First.
And I know of the AMEX Platinum card 2 for 1 in Business...
Forum: Africa July 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 3
Posted By Dave Patterson
Mombo & Duba camps - contact info

There's some chance they don't make an email address public. When I was
last there, they had no
phone connections, so any internet access would have to be by satellite
phone. You could see
if you...
Forum: Africa June 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave Patterson
attn: marc lurie

"K. Insley Holgate" wrote:

Hi mr. Lurie,

I am planning a trip to Zambia, november 2007, can you
e-mail me so I can ask you about options.

Thanks!

Kasper.
Forum: Africa March 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave Patterson
Zambia visa now $100 for US citizens

Here's the official word straight from the Zambia government.
One file is a PDF, the other,...
Forum: Africa March 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave Patterson
Zambia visa now $100 for US citizens

I haven't seen this news posted here.
It's a multiple entry visa good for 3 years and the only
visa available for US citizens.
Different rules and fees for other countries.
Forum: Africa March 17th, 2007, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 18
Posted By Dave Patterson
Cost of driving in SA

Wildpicture wrote:

Dave Patterson schreef:
Wildpicture wrote:
Fuel is very inexpensive in South Africa

Not to a South African. That's almost a little arrogant.
Put yourself in...
Forum: Africa March 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 18
Posted By Dave Patterson
Cost of driving in SA

Wildpicture wrote:

Fuel is very inexpensive in South Africa

Not to a South African. That's almost a little arrogant.
Put yourself in their shoes and you will have a different
point of view about...
Forum: Africa March 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 18
Posted By Dave Patterson
Cost of driving in SA

Since the poster wondered if he got good 'mileage' - a term widely
understood and more manageable than 'kilometerage', let me
chime in and say 'yes' he did. I use about 6 to 6.5 litres per 100 km...
Forum: Africa March 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave Patterson
stay in South Africa.

Why don't you just call the High Commission and ask them?
You can get a 'Relative's Permit' that's good for up to 2...
Forum: Africa February 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 43
Posted By Dave Patterson
?How about 30 days in South Africa starting next month?

Great price on the car.
Works out to $21 a day.
AMEX should send you the note that guarantees you
are covered. Otherwise, Thrifty has the option - if they
choose to use it - of requiring you to add...
Forum: Africa January 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 43
Posted By Dave Patterson
?How about 30 days in South Africa starting next month?

Great time of the year, for sure.
You could use your car all the way.
Driving from Kruger to Durban could take you through
the historic battlefields.
Driving from Durban to Cape Town would include...
Forum: Africa January 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 16
Posted By Dave Patterson
Kenya safari..

wrote:

No interesting markets or neighborhoods or architecture?

In the far north suburbs there is indeed a market at the Village Market
shopping center on Fridays - it's a...
Forum: Africa December 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 20
Posted By Dave Patterson
Looking for ideas about a honeymoon safari

Fred, I do now remember your posting - in fact, I forwarded
it to the owners of Larsens. It was helpful to us as well..
and, as it turned out, the group of 18 clients who traveled
with us in...
Forum: Africa December 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 20
Posted By Dave Patterson
Looking for ideas about a honeymoon safari

In Kenya - Finch Hattons in Tsavo. http://www.finchhattons.com/
the NEW Larsens in Samburu. http://www.wildernesslodges.co.ke/ (then
select Larsens)
No balloons either place.
Bateleur Camp @ Kichwa...
Forum: Africa December 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 7
Posted By Dave Patterson
Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

"Corné" wrote:

here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
do big-5 horseback safaris.

As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

It does sound like...
Forum: Africa December 25th, 2006, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 7
Posted By Dave Patterson
Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Never heard of one.
Remember that any safari worth taking would include
areas with major predators. Your horse might look
like lunch to them.
Forum: Africa December 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave Patterson
Trying to Get From East Africa to the Seychelles

Your questions about your trip have sometimes focused on costs.
The Seychelles - as beautiful as they are - are quite expensive,
with few of the budget options available on Zanzibar. Google
for...
Forum: Africa December 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 2
Posted By Dave Patterson
Travel Agent Only Perks

Sean Keely wrote:

We have the opportunity today to offer you a chance to become an independant
Travel Agent. Earn Commissions on every booking. Receive agent only perks
like Fam Trips plus...
Forum: Africa December 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 2
Posted By Dave Patterson
South Africa information

A reminder: this is a good source for a lot of travel info:
http://www.cbel.com/south_africa/
Forum: Africa December 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 3
Posted By Dave Patterson
Accomodations in Merzouga, Erg Chebbie Morocco

Please tell us the rates at this hotel.
Forum: Africa December 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.travel.africa
Replies: 12
Posted By Dave Patterson
In-Country Cost Comparison Among East African Countires

pjbphd wrote:

Sorry I'm a little confused but that's not unusual for me. Are you
referring to Uganda prices in the first couple paragraphs?

No - Kenya and Tanzania are the countries where I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 69