Showing results 1 to 25 of 31
Search took 0.92 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Danglerb
Forum: Europe August 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Danglerb
US credit card use in London

Hatunen wrote:
On 21 Aug 2006 18:43:54 -0700, "Danglerb"
wrote:

Not sure I totally understand this, so I will just toss out the numbers
from my statement, all...
Forum: Europe August 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 16
Posted By Danglerb
ATMs

Browse the last month or so of posts in this newsgroup and you will see
several posts on ATM, TC, and CC issues. I just finished 2 weeks in
London and used BofA ATM card and a couple of VISA...
Forum: Europe August 22nd, 2006, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Danglerb
US credit card use in London

Not sure I totally understand this, so I will just toss out the numbers
from my statement, all transactions seem to have "about" the same
percent charge, this transaction occured on Aug 15, 2006 on a...
Forum: Europe August 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 0
Posted By Danglerb
BofA via UK Barclays ATMs, works fine.

We used our Bank of America ATM cards with no issues at various
Barclays ATM each time for £250 with a cost showing on our US account
of $467 and $477, due to changes in exchange rate I...
Forum: Europe August 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Danglerb
Carrying etoys in London, notebook etc

Danglerb wrote:

Also I may sit with the laptop and type up a nice fat blog style trip
note.

Home now, chances are I will spend a few hours and type up my trip
before old age erases $10,000 in...
Forum: Europe August 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 20
Posted By Danglerb
o2 London stinks

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Indeed which is one reason I have just switched but the O2 website is quite
clear on international tariffs

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/talkalot

Forum: Europe August 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Danglerb
Carrying etoys in London, notebook etc

Tomorrow will be 1 week in London, so far cell almost worthless (thanks
loads o2), PDA used a little, before flight, and in hotel, but nothing
around town or waiting on a bus etc., just too much...
Forum: Europe August 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 20
Posted By Danglerb
o2 London stinks

I bought a nice triband phone before leaving the US, and also bought a
UK o2 sim so I could hit the ground running and give people a number to
reach me at.

Nothing but a mess.

O2 sim I bought...
Forum: Europe July 31st, 2006, 12:33 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

I think it's some sort of security blanket for cyber geeks.

Its more like a knife and fork among the hordes. I get used to having
powerfull usefull tools, and when I am netless it troubles...
Forum: Europe July 30th, 2006, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 19
Posted By Danglerb
London ATM only allow 4 digit pin?

Larry in Berkeley wrote:
Danglerb wrote:
I thought I was all set to use Barclays while in the UK with my Bank of
America ATM card, but when I called in to let them know I was traveling
Forum: Europe July 30th, 2006, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

But I'm tempted by something like the Nokia E61. Do you have a separate
keyboard for the Life Drive?

No. I was originally planning to get one, but the handwriting
recognition works so...
Forum: Europe July 30th, 2006, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

PeterL wrote:

But why would you need to lug it around with you. Leave it in your
hotel room.

No lug, its a 3.5 lb 12" notebook, that I plan to put in a smallest
possible safe "carrier" I can...
Forum: Europe July 29th, 2006, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

I know it may seem insane, but I know people who have a device at home
called a Slingbox, which allows you to record any TV or Cable program
and stream it via the internet to any location with the...
Forum: Europe July 29th, 2006, 07:48 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

PeterL wrote:
Danglerb wrote:
My plan is to have a back pack we carry with us all the time during our
trip, with a small notebook computer, a palm pilot, a cell phone,
water, and some...
Forum: Europe July 29th, 2006, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 19
Posted By Danglerb
London ATM only allow 4 digit pin?

He has a birthmark that looks like 999 so maybe I can use that with
just one more digit.

US ATM all have telephone pads with 1/abc, 2/def, etc so most people
remember a word and haven't a clue what...
Forum: Europe July 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 19
Posted By Danglerb
London ATM only allow 4 digit pin?

I thought I was all set to use Barclays while in the UK with my Bank of
America ATM card, but when I called in to let them know I was traveling
BofA said I might have to change my pin from 6 digits...
Forum: Europe July 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

My laptop arrived today, so our current planned gadget load is;

Dell D400 1.4ghz, 512mb, 40 GB, 3.5 lbs with battery.
Palm M515 (two if I can find another in time) dozens of games, 100s...
Forum: Europe July 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

The same discussion as here is ongoing in our family.

What works best is to have the stuff you need, and to be as flexible as
possible.

EEEK, thunderstorm, back later.
Forum: Europe July 23rd, 2006, 04:17 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

Checking it with no liability I won't like, but its 12" 3 lb
ultracompact that will be no chore to tote, but dearly missed if lost
or stolen. I will have a cell to keep in touch, the laptop is so...
Forum: Europe July 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 40
Posted By Danglerb
Any problems carrying a backpack around with laptop etc all over?

My plan is to have a back pack we carry with us all the time during our
trip, with a small notebook computer, a palm pilot, a cell phone,
water, and some snacks while we roam London for two weeks....
Forum: Europe July 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 27
Posted By Danglerb
London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

The Cloud is very interesting. The location function was abysmal,
closest points from Kings Cross Holiday Inn were 13 km away, ... in
another Holiday Inn Express (Chinwood and Greenich). ;) Who knows...
Forum: Europe July 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 27
Posted By Danglerb
London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

Our trip costs spiraled way out of sight long ago, so I decided not to
let it bother me, just wave it in front of the wife when we get home
and I go shopping for a big screen display.

I am bidding...
Forum: Europe July 16th, 2006, 04:49 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 27
Posted By Danglerb
London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

David Johnstone wrote:
Danglerb wrote:
Adding a wifi sdio card to the M515 is nuts, cards start at $50, and
other PDAs with builtin wifi aren't much more on ebay.

Really? I hadn't...
Forum: Europe July 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 27
Posted By Danglerb
London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

Adding a wifi sdio card to the M515 is nuts, cards start at $50, and
other PDAs with builtin wifi aren't much more on ebay. Since I also
would like a phone with me the HP ipaq 6315 is kind of...
Forum: Europe July 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 27
Posted By Danglerb
London, Wifi, or CyberCafe?

David Johnstone wrote:
Danglerb wrote:
We are all moderate net junkies, checking menus, shop hours and
locations, google earth, checking here to see about wifi, 3x many hour
a day...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 31