Old November 6th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

larry wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Partially because you have to go farther than 100 km to cross a border for
most folks in the US.

The passport spike is because it will be needed for travel in North
America soon.

Probably about the same proportion of US citizens have been 200 miles away
from home they just do that within the US.

These answers are classic US thinking - stats v reality.It does not answer
the question.
I live in Australia where sometimes you have drive all day just to get a
beer.So waht?I travel the world extensively because I have the means and
like to see other countries and meet different cultures.
Americans as a whole are extremely insular, with many not even knowing much
about their own country let alone anything OS.The 'ignorance' is astounding
and accounts for a lot of the stuff ups in foreign policy application.
Having said that, you could'nt wish to meet more friendly,helpful and
grscious people than the Americans - home and abroad.
The only state in the US I have been to is Alaska.Have loved all the other
states - great country,great people.

You clearly lack experience. There is little difference in attitudes.
The question is always phrased in terms of international borders and
structured thus to create an artificial difference.