Old August 18th, 2004, 01:25 AM
ClimbHighSleepLow

Since I am a partner in a Kilimanjaro climbing company I cannot
comment on other companies. Instead I suggest you do the following:

1. Visit IMEC at http://www.hec.org/club/partners.htm to see which
companies are serious about porter care.

2. Then ask each company the following 5 questions:

a) Do your porters have proper clothes, shelter, food? Porters must
have a separate tent and should not sleep in the mess tent.
b) How much do you pay your porters?
c) Do the porters pay for food?
d) Do you provide free transport for your porters?
e) What is the maximum weight carried by your porters?

It is shocking to see how many companies treat their porters on
Kilimanjaro. And it is even more shocking when good people sign up to
climb with these bad companies.

I applaud the fact that you care about the porters, and I wish you the
best of luck on Kilimanjaro!

Eben

"Rydale" wrote in message ...
Hi there

I went last year and ended up using 'The African Walking Company' -
organised by a co in the UK.

Their porters were treated well and paid well - plus they all got a share of
the tips, which were given out publicly to make sure.

Charles

"Antuan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I´m planing to go to climb Kilimanjaro and, as fas as I know, it is
only possible to be done with an guided group, there are no permits
for people in their own. Is this true?

My main worry is how these groups treat the porters. I´ve seen
trekking groups in Peru (Inca trail to Macchu Picchu) where the
porters worked in very very poor conditions: no rucksack, lot of
weight hanging with ropes form their necks and heads, carrying lots of
unnecesary weigths as big butan bottles, tables, chairs, etc.

Is this the same in Kilimanjaro or is it posible to find a group where
the porters are treated as persons? Any recomendation?

Thanks in advance.

Antuan