Old August 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

Default Cell phone for European travel

"Erick T. Barkhuis" writes:

Tim C.:

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:57:29 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan wrote in post :
:

On 20/08/2013 20:15, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote:

Firstly, initial SIM registration may take several days.

not in my experience

Mine neither.

I start wondering...have you guys ever actually tried to get across the
pond as a US citizen and buy/register a new SIM in Western Europe?

It took me about 15 minutes to buy two sims from an Orange shop in
France for my phone and my mothers. This was in 2011.

It took a similar length of time in 2007, also in France.

Faster to buy a tmobile sim in Bonn in 2008.

I may have needed my passport in some or all cases. I know I had it
with me just in case.