Old August 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Default Cell phone for European travel

Tim C.:

On 21 Aug 2013 06:32:30 GMT, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote in post :
:

I start wondering...have you guys ever actually tried to get
across the pond as a US citizen and buy/register a new SIM in
Western Europe?

No, have you?

I had a friend over from Rhode Island several months ago and went with
him to a Vodafone shop in Enschede to buy a SIM. He had to fill out a
form, produce a photo copy of his passport and then was told, that
"things would work the day after tomorrow. If not, please check back
in".
It worked the next day, late afternoon.

But I have, very recently, bought 3 "vertragsfrei" SIM cards here
without any documentation or anything. It is clear I am not local,
from my accent. Instantly.

I didn't know that was possible. Next time I see them offered
somewhere, I'll have a look.
Thanks.

--
Erick