Old March 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:36:20 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[]

Wadi Rum: In 'our day' you could fix an overnight with the Jordanian

Desert Patrol, with camel treks through the wadis. Now, you probably have

5* hotels & 4WD - I don't know! :-))

If you're still reading, we're closer to an itinerary. No hotels booked

yet (availability seems fine) but probably Tel Aviv for the first 3

nights (we arrive on the Thursday and travel on the sabbath is

problematic) then fly to Eilat, but stay in Taba (Sinai) 3-4, then to

Jordan, finally to Jerusalem. So, St. Catherine's is definitely on the

list, then Petra and Wadi Rum. We're looking into staying in a tent at

Wadi Rum.

David

--

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate

www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first

world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Looks good - envy you!
Taba's on the Egyptian border, of course. Nothing there apart from a resort hotel or two (unless it's expanded since I was last there). Eilat or Aqaba could have been more interesting, & the distance differences are negligible. But your choice, of course.
Around the St. Catherine's area there's a delightful Wadi Gazella area if you can persuade your guides to divert a little!
When I was last at St. Catherine's they were just starting to build a hotel complex nearby. I assume that's finished now. Again, depending on your own tastes, that could centre you amongst glorious desert scenery rather than in the less dramatic coast resorts - but I'm getting subjective again!
Above all, enjoy! Look forward to hearing from you afterwards.