Old March 24th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Kaliningrad: from Russian relic to Baltic boom town

On 23 Mar 2006 11:54:01 -0800, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

eetinBelgië wrote:

[from article]

For the time being, however, the region is experiencing the unfamiliar
taste of modest success. Outside the centre for children and families,
Djana Pestova says that, even for those on one income, life here is
"definitely better than in the central areas of Russia", and possibly
in many other parts of the world too.

Well, that's not saying much. The place sounds like a Baltic version
of Albania -- except that Albania is probably easier to visit (less
onerous visa requirements, better facilities, etc.)...

I have visited both. Admittedly my trip to Kaliningrad was just an
illegal **** stop about 2 metres over the border, but I still
preferred Albania.
--
---