Old June 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Atom Egoyan

Default planning a month is Oz

Hiram writes:

Atom Egoyan wrote:

Either way you are talking about extreme remoteness.

Yeah some of that does worry me a bit. I'm fairly practicable, but I
think I could easily get out of my depth.

I'm gradually easing towards taking the train, I still fancy the road
trip, but like you say, its going to cost more.

It is helpful to get your advice - it gives me food for thought.

I've done the Nullarbor in a car, visiting various caves and doing
botanical surveys. Camping out in the open for the 'big sky' experience
is still something that resonates with me thirty years after the event.
Travelling across by train will at least give you that '**** it's a big
country' feeling, providing you want to spend three days of your holiday
doing that. Another way would be to spend those three days flying
out of Perth using a regional airline to get to the Kimberley or
Pilbara, then continuing on to Darwin. From Darwin, it's easy to get
to Alice Springs, then hop a flight to Uluru/Ayers Rock, another place
that will leave a lasting impression.

The big six things most people want to see in Australia:

Ayers Rock/Uluru [and the Olgas]
Great Barrier Reef
Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge
Great Ocean Road [Victoria]
Kakadu
Bungle Bungles [Kimberley, Western Australia]

Other things that leave a strong impression for those that visit
them:

Blue Mountains
Flinders Ranges
Kalgoorlie Super Pit
Giles Weather Station [and the exerience of getting there]
Grampians [Victoria]
Mount Kosciuszko
Sovereign Hill and Ballarat Gold Museum [Victoria]
Cape Tribulation and World Heritage Queensland rainforests
Cape York Peninsula
Warumbungles [inland NSW]
Broken Hill [mullock heaps, underground mine tours and the Mundi Mundi Plain]
Wild Dog Ranges [NSW]

My interests tnd towards the natural and unspoiled, but the cities also have
plenty to offer.

Atom Egoyan