Old March 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default driving in Turkey What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

On 2013-02-18 15:18:45 -0600, Jack Campin said:

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than
Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.

Tarxien (and other sites), Malta.
Absolutely incomparable - and, I believe, the oldest.

A little way outside Europe, but Gobekli Tepe near Urfa makes
Tarxien and Stonehenge look as modern as a Wal-Mart.

What is your opinion in physical and driving safety in remote areas of
Turkey such as this?

I've visited Turkey because and felt safe, but that wasn't driving (and
they are maniacs in Istanbul), and it was in Istanbul for the most
part. Not the rural hinterland. And this was in 2002, and then 2007.
They've gotten more islamist since then, too, and I just don't know
what that means as an American tourist.

Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com
Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)