Old July 11th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Pat Anderson

Default Mandazi recipe

In message , "Eupe-mbwa
(Wh1t3d0g)" writes
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:42:14 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Here's one from a cookbook we bought in Zan.
2 cups plain flour
5 tbsps sugar
1 cup cocnut milk
1 tsp coarsly ground cardamom
1 sachet yeast
oil for frying

Mix all ingredients with coconut milk and bind into a dough. Leave in
a warm place for 4-5 hours to rise. knead dough well and roll out to
1/2" thick, cut into triangles or required shapes and leave for
further 15 minutes. Deep fry in hot oil on medium heat to a deep tan
colour then drain on kitchen paper.

The trick may be experimenting with yeast and/or standing time, also
the type of oil will affect the flavour. I'd guess that corn oil is
probably used in Zanzibar.

If your biscuits are lonely, let them meet cake.

I`ve just had a look in a Lamu cookbook and see that, like the recipe
in the Congo cookbook, an egg is included in the recipe. This is added
with the milk. Also added in Lamu are a few saffron threads to colour
and flavour. The saffron is infused with a little warm water and added
during the rising process. As you say, corn or vegetable oil would be
used in the deep frying.
I`ve eaten Mandazi or Mahamri as they are called on the Coast, in both
Nairobi and Malindi. I couldn`t eat them now and ruin my low calorie
diet!! They are nice though!
Interesting feedback.
Pat
Are you a Mbwa Kali I wonder?