Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Peter

In article , JohnM says...
Incidentally, I don't intend to drive (that's how I will save the
money). I will be going mostly by bus or even backpacker bus (if I
must). I may on occasion rent a car. I will be alone and I am not happy
driving alone in remote areas. Do you think I will lose a lot by not
driving?

If you have the time to go by public transport, probably not a lot. New
Zealand really only has two industries - one is farming, the other
tourism, and you can get around almost anywhere without too much hassle.
You also get to meet a lot more people than if you drive where your
fellow travellers are usually just blurred faces in speeding windows.

Your needs are greatly different from mine, where I had two weeks to
travel the whole island with a wife and two teenagers. I like driving,
especially on New Zealand's scenic and uncrowded roads, so I had a lot
of fun, and it was the cheapest and most convenient option.