Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stefan Patric[_3_]

Default Ocracoke Island/Outer Banks

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:58:44 -0500, JB wrote:

Looking to go there this fall. Anyone been and willing to share advice?

I've been there several times, not counting the times as a child (was
raised in NC, but no longer live there) the whole family would share in
renting a beach house for the month at Holden Beach, one of the Brunswick
Islands.

The last time I was there was early May 2006. Weather was nice. Highs
75 to 80; lows in the low 50s. Water too cold for swimming. Made a tour
of all the lighthouses, the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kitty Hawk, the
Sand Dunes park next to it, the little island of Manteo--check out the
English village and the reproduction 1600's sailing vessel--and the bird
sanctuary.

Took the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke. Stayed overnight there. It's
a small island and it doesn't take long to see everything. There's a
nice little museum in the town. And don't forget trying to find some of
the wild ponies.

Then took the 2 to 3 hour ferry ride from Ocracoke to Cedar Island, and
on to the Cape Lookout lighthouse. That ended the tour, since most all
of the larger barrier islands from Morehead City south are developed for
vacationers.

There are many sights to see there other than what I visited on my trip,
but it was only a 3-nighter, and my time was limited.

I don't know what time in the Fall you plan to visit, but I was there
once in mid-October: The days were nice--70s, but the nights were damn
nippy, especially near the Atlantic Ocean side when the wind was up.

Stef