Old May 18th, 2015, 09:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Iceland

On Sun, 17 May 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

That ring trip seems attractive to me, too.

I did it a few years ago with an organized (coach) tour from Italy and
enjoyed it.

I want to avoid midge swarms. Thoughts for time of year?

We did it in July-August. There are caps with nets for sale against
mosquitos. We had brought homemade ones with us, but had barely no need
for them. A bit at the Parliament Plain (Thingvellir), none at the
Mosquito Lake (Myvatn).

About how long would this all take, practically?

Let me see if I recall correctly. Count the days yourself.

We flew in rather late in the evening and drove to Rejkyavik.
Next day, if I recall well, was half a day to see the city, and half a
day to the main Geyser site and Gullfoss.

Next day in the morning we went to Thingvellir, than turned slightly
inland and to the south coast near Vik. We stopped to see the birds near
Dirholaey.

Another day with stop at Kirkjubaejarklaustur (spelling by heart),
Svartifoss, the ice lagoon at Jokulsarlon (definitely worth seeing)
and up to Hofn.

Then from Hofn to Egilstadir (where we slept in a school) with various
stops on the coast, birds, mineral museum, glacier, whaling station.

From Egilstadir to area of lake Myvatn via Modrudalur.

One day touring lake Myvatn.

Next day to the northern coast to see a waterfall, a sort of escarpment,
and arrival at Akureyri.

Then from Akureyri we visited Glaumbaer (also worth seeing) and all the
way to Rejkiavik (unfortunately no Snaefell peninsula !)

Last day from Rejkiavik to the Blue Lagoon spa (rather touristy) and
departure late at evening.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to