Old September 13th, 2016, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Rhein cruises

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 13:41:50 -0500, Erilar wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:03:39 -0500, Erilar wrote:

http://www.kdrhine.com/

I've considered that, but detest one-night hotel stays and living out of a
suitcase. It's one of the reasons I like taking my hotel and restaurant
along, aka river cruise. The problem for this trip is that the only
company offering a route and services I approve of, one I've particularly
liked in the past, is that it's German, which means its tours are in
German, and my friend doesn't speak German. Add this to my now-limited
walking ability so that I can only be her translator on wheeled excursions,
and we have a problem. What I could do five years ago is no longer possible
8-(

because it is German doesn't mean that tours are only in German, unless they say
so. Multilingual German tours and guides do exist. I've made visits to Rhine &
Mosel castles which had English speaking tour guides, for example, Cochem,
Marksburg, Stolzenfels and Kaub.IMO the advantages of being independent and
staying in a hotel outweigh having to sleep in a cramped cabin eating poor food
drinking cheap wine and being stuck with a bunch of people I don't like.

The cruises I've taken have all had excellent food, and unless the wine is
included, in which case I avoid the white(snob problem), it's often
possible to buy a bottle of something decent 8-)
With some companies cabin size is decent and can be checked out in advance.
Taking along a companion guarantees good company, and that's the current
plot.

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad