Old January 31st, 2004, 06:17 AM
Freda

Default Where to stay (Barcaldine and Longreach)

Local pubs would be the place to stay.
There are a few along the main street.
Failing that, there is a caravan park which may have
onsite cabins which provide accommodation .
The town hasnt got a lot BUT it has a local and area history
centre at the old Primary scholl which is excellent.
called the Australian workers Heritage Centre
Each old classroom is done up as a particular theme
and get a entry pass which you sign and go back
with the next day and the next if you want to.
All the stuff is historical not like longreach which is mainly
high tech screens etc.
Thousands of photographs of the bygone eras.
put Barcaldine Queensland or Barcaldine Queensland Caravan Park
into www.google.com and search and you will get quite a lot of stuff.
Information centre at this address

http://www.action-graphics.com.au/ma...dineintro.html
or accommodation at this page of that site

http://www.action-graphics.com.au/ma...arcaldine.html
heritage centre at this site
http://www.heritagetrails.qld.gov.au...arcaldine.html

Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake
"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
I'll be going to Barcaldine and Longreach soon, but I'm not quite sure
about the accommodations. A friend of mine recommended Barcaldine as I
wanted to see more of the outback and non-touristy Australia, and
knows someone owning a pub there with the option to stay there as
well, but I'm not sure about the price.

I think he spoke of something around AU$ 60 a night, which is quite
expensive for me (I've been staying at dorms all the way in this
country, paying around AU$ 20 a night) -are there cheap places to stay
at those two places (Longreach and Barcaldine)?
I've searched the net but found nothing, but then again not everybody
has a website or information about their place....

Hallvard+