Old July 16th, 2017, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default A report from Andalucia, July 2017

Am Dienstag, 11. Juli 2017 21:36:20 UTC+2 schrieb tim...:

I first (and only) visited Sicily in 82 when I was working a year in Italy

This was pre internet, without a guide book, flying by the seat of my pants
stuff

I knew a few places that I had to go to: Mt Etna, Agrigento, Palermo etc

I scheduled a two week holiday which I spent in the very south of Italy and
on the Island - travelling by train. It was November BTW, glorious weather
all week, though it did **** down the previous week when I had been in
Naples :-(

I'm sure that I missed some places. I remember that I got the train to
Enna, fully expecting that if the station wasn't in the town centre (it
isn't by about 5 km) there would be as bus as the had been at *every* other
random Italian town that I had visited. But there wasn't and still isn't
(actually I found a web site that says that there us, but there are no bus
stops on street view!) - and there isn't even a sign of a taxi rank, though
no doubt there's now a phone number on the wall that you can ring with your
mobile - something that I, of course, didn't have in 82.

Now, with 35 years of traveling experience behind me, I think I should go
back and fill in the gaps.

I'm minded to hire a car, but I am concerned by the overly cheap prices that
are charged and whether it is possible to avoid all the scams that you read
of to bump up the costs when you get there.

Or I can again go by train (and bus) though this time using the internet to
plan properly.

Although the Train Station has not been included to
the local bus network http://wwwnew.saisautolinee.it/publi...Mappa-S.U..pdf
http://wwwnew.saisautolinee.it/?cmd=orari Shows
Solutions for weekdays if entering/choosing Enna F.S. as the first
and Enna as second point.

Regards, ULF