Old August 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:38:11 -0700, "None" wrote:

Thanks for the clues, but I think there is more than meets the eye, too.
Some of these vendors are doing windfall business taking orders, and cash at
an amazing rate. It seems quite improbable that they are almost always short
cash on hand, even 200 or 500 shillings. All this off site change making
takes place in the dark. If there is some kind of underground banking going
on it is amazing how it all happens without any visible records.

They hope you will not have the time to wait and either buy more
or leave them the change.

Apparently this behavior is widespread all over Africa.

You might as well ask, why do people never repay their debts? In
Africa, borrowed money is considered a gift.

Hans-Georg

I tend to agree with Hans Georg. I doubt an African customer would
receive or accept this practice! It is a way of life which is
unfamiliar to us as non Africans. In other words, all part of Africa and
the differences between us.
I can say Hans Georg that it also happened in Nigeria. An African
custom perhaps?
Pat
--
Pat Anderson