Old May 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Following up to

Mr Habiss said that concerns over Saudi Arabia's less-than-favourable
image overseas were unfounded. "Saudi Arabia is part of the modern
world now. We cannot continue to be isolated. The Western perception is
different from the reality. Saudis are known for their hospitality, and
visitors who come will feel very differently."

Male and female visitors will have to cover up. Foreign females must
don the full-length abaya, and women under 40 must be accompanied by a
male relative.

[snip]

Does anyone see a huge contradiction between those two successive
paragraphs, or is it just me?

its not just you. I suppose it doesn't really dawn on them how
crap the restrictions on women seems to westerners. There
probably aren't any women, gays or alcoholics in their focus
groups :-)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site