Old September 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Default Planes in Europe

Janet Wilder wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:

My experience is that even if you only say "hello" in the local
language and then ask "do you speak English" that people (be they
check in agents, hotel staff or just anyone) are almost always helpful
and friendly. If they indicate they don't speak English then mime
works surprisingly well and if that fails just smile, say thank you
(preferably in local language) and move on. Many people see English
as something they want to learn and practice (I'm not sure I think
that's a good thing but there you are). I recently spent 3 weeks in
Japan and that seemed to work for me (and actually, I don't think I
ever had to move on).

I have had the same experience traveling in Mexico and Central America.
Most people want to try out their English on us.

Turn the problem on its' head. If someone approached you and spoke
no English but did speak French would you refuse to help? You might
have to ask them to speak slowly and repeat a few words but I bet you
would do your best. It's all a matter of give and take. You try
their language, they try yours, smile, mime, be friendly.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have interpreted for French
Canadians traveling in the US and also in Mexico.

This will be my first trip to Europe. I'm a senior citizen and a little
nervous about it. So shoot me.

My last trip to France went better than I'd expected. It's not like my
French language skills had improved, so my best guess is that some gray
hair (I'm in my 50s) bought me a little tolerance. I'll take what I can
get.

When I apologized to the security guard at the Bayeux Tapestry Museum
for my lack of fluent French, he said, "On va s'entendre" -- "we manage
to understand one another" (if someone else has a better translation,
chime in). Enjoy your trip.

Louis