Old December 6th, 2015, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Mosquitoes in Italy

On 12/6/15 2:20 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 06-01-2015 16:34, poldy wrote:
Back years ago, one of the regular posters to a.t.e complained several
times about mosquitoes in Milan. I believe he was an Aussie who lived
there several years?

Been to different parts of Italy several times, though mostly in May and
early June.

Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

Three weeks, May 2013. Cinque Terre, Toscana, Roma, San Marino,
Venezia, Milano, Pisa, Firenze (not in that order).

Did not see, hear, or feel a single mosquito.

Oh man, now that this thread was resuscitated, I went to Sicily at the
end of September, first part of October.

First Taormina and then 3 nights in Salina, then Siracusa, Noto and Ragusa.

They had record rains the weeks before I arrived. In fact the funivia
in Taormina was out of service due to mudslides.

Weather was humid. There was some sun but a lot of clouds. Didn't have
a problem with mosquitoes in the room but during the day, you had to
keep waving off flies from your arms and legs.

Then in Salina, there were some heavy thunderstorms. But the first
afternoon, the flies problem was more accute. Could not sit down for
more than a couple of minutes before they were all over you.

First night, I was awoke by very loud, high-pitched hum. Something
flying right by my head.

Woke up with bites all over my legs. Complained and the hotel gave me
one of those traps that you plug in, with a little "tablet" to slide in.
That helped a lot.

I guess the fall is the worst time for mosquitoes, especially in muggy
weather.