Old July 31st, 2004, 05:50 AM
Pan

Default Hotel Recommendation NYC - Advice Sought

On 30 Jul 2004 05:15:16 GMT, .no-spam.invalid (Anonymous) wrote:

Hello :

I'm surprising my wife on her birthday in June and taking her to New
York
City to see Cirque du Soleil, which is performing on Randall Island
Park.
We've never been to NYC before and so we're completely at a loss in
terms of
booking a hotel and knowing 1) if it's a good hotel and not a dump,
and 2)
where it is in relation to Randall Island Park.

If at all possible, we want to be in a hotel close to the location,
but
still in a nice part of the city. From what I can gather on maps I've
found, Randall Island Park seems to be near Harlem ......

That's correct. If you're coming from Manhattan, you need to go
through Harlem to get there.

and again, I
could
be completely wrong not knowing the city, but I'm not sure if Harlem
is an
area we want to stay in.

I don't know either, quite honestly. I hang out in Harlem from time to
time and have enjoyed walking through different parts of it many times
but have never stayed there (I live downtown).

Anyways, I'm looking for good advice on reasonable NYC hotels that are
close

Look at anything on the east side. It's easy to go uptown via the
Lexington Av. subway line (4, 5, 6) and change for the bus on 125 St.
(I forget the number offhand; check www.mta.info) that goes to
Randall's Island.

If you end up staying on the West Side, that's not so bad either; you
can always take the 7th Av. Express (2 or 3) to 125 St. and Lenox and
walk several blocks over to Lexington Av. to take the bus. A walk on
125 St. is an interesting thing to do, anyway.

As I'm a New Yorker and have never stayed in any hotel here, I can't
give you specific hotel recommendations.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.