Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

Default They're at it in Crete too.

On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 3:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 3:00*pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if I'm
skint?

Nah, that aint it; I've been doing some research into the scams prime
target selection and I since found one site claiming to reveal all.
It's not that they're looking out for package holiday destination
tourists, nor childless couples, or "newbie" tourists.
No, what they pick out are people who look like they are having fun
and clearly enjoying their holiday.

*gullible ?!

Hmm, can't say I saw a mention of gullible.http://www.ehow.com/how_2272842_spot...avel-scam.html

However, there is a scientific basis that would agree with that, or at
least from what I read in a fairly recent New Scientist, or Scientific
American *magazine which pointed out that happiness makes people more
prone to being gullible.

What might interest you though is that there's a *sort of "save our
turtles" campaign going on there. But no, it 's not the BP ones; We
saw the kiosk near the opening to the harbour car park. Previously,
the holiday rep had mentioned something about turtles coming ashore to
nest and that was about all he seemed to know about the place, though
it seems now that his direction were about 15 km out (he was
suggesting to the West of Scam Central, when in fact it's to the east
and , oh, they don't do the nesting gig until late July -to August, so
he got that bit wrong too.

Be wary of people who approach you....nuff sed