Old September 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Are native Hawaiians getting increasing unfriendly to tourists?

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 09/04/2010 04:12 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:45:05 +0200, "Runge
wrote:

Native hawaiians are very friendly people, even if they have been
occupied
by a foreign country.

Some are. those who post "Kapu" by their houses probably aren't. Been
in the Waipio Valley or driven in Molokai or on Lanai?

We've driven in some places in Hawaii where there was probably some
animosity. We also went on a snorkeling cruise on a small boat. There
was a woman who was their with her daughter who lived with the
ex-husband on the mainland. The mother didn't want the daughter coming
to live with her until she was in college because of the
discrimination and animosity in the school she would have attended. I
have the feeling that the girl had been there and went back to the
mainland.

We took a tour of the Iolani Palace and the guide (male) cam close to
crying when he talked about Kind David and Queen Liliuokalani.

I'm certainly no expert but we spent about 1 1/2 months in different
visits there and have driven around a lot and have visited 6 islands.

That doesn't mean we felt afraid or even concerned beyond what the
normal precautions should be. But then we aren't afraid to walk
around, or drive in, cities including Baltimore where we live in the
suburbs.

I'd be curious to know how many Americans are familiar with the history of
Hawaii and its annexation by the United States.

If they do know the history of Hawaii, they would understand that indeed
native Hawaiians today are significantly more unfriendly to visitors than
native Hawaiians historically were, particularly in Maui.

http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.c...age&PageID=287
http://www.stayfinder.com/travelguid...ii_history.asp
http://www.whalersrealty.com/blog/Di...he_Whaling_Era