Old July 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
carolm

Default deciding where to go!

I know this is as broad a question as one could possibly ask, but my
boyfriend and I are planning a trip
to Mexico and have narrowed it down to 3 areas (Oaxaca City and it's
coastal area; around --
but not in!! -- Puerto Vallarta -- perhaps some of the towns to the
north, eg Sayulita; or
the Playa Del Carmen / Tulum area).

Travel will be in November, goals are to avoid major tourist
playgrounds, have some quality time in the ocean, do some other
activities (snorkel, bike, horseback) and hopefully experience some of
the more cosmopolitan/cultural/extraordinary culinary delights of
Mexico -- hence the draw of Oaxaca).

We'll have about 8 days...

My concern about Oaxaca's coastal towns is -- from what I hear -- the
roughness of the water, the increased crime/poverty over other areas,
and the climate in general. Also hear that the waters on the West
Coast are not, in general, as nice as those on the East. (Sewage?!)

I hear Sayulita is great, but can find very little info on it. Plus no
great cultural opps, unless maybe a few days in Mazatlan is a good
idea.

Any thoughts welcome!!

Thanks,
Carol