Old April 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Default SA2004 New York to Orlando:Wahington 95 or 295?

In sci.geo.satellite-nav wrote:
Take a look at the TIME to drive between these two routes. You probably are
set up on Delorme to take the QUICKEST route, and Delorme seems to be
showing you a trip of 10 minutes less time than Street Atlas. You can make
the comparison easily on Delorme by just moving a "via" position back and
forth between I-95 / I-295.

Assuming that you are talking about Microsoft Streets&Trips verses Delorme
Street Atlas, both programs have a quickest/shortest option.

I find that Street Atlas takes the "shortest" too literally, dropping from
freeway to city streets to cut off a couple of tenths, wandering through a
residential neighborhood to shave distance instead of following the freeway
to an interchange with another freeway.

Street Atlas 2004 provides correct routes for me, more so than SA7, but the
Streets&Trips route is often more reasonable, especially in rurual areas,
where non-freeways have 60mph speeds. It seems that S&T recognizes that,
where SA does not.

---