Old June 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Richard Bonnage

Default No helmet no ride, says South African Government

"Scott Elliot" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message

snip

I regret to inform you that you will not be able to avoid safety

legislation
by abandoning you bicycle in favour of a car. First you are going to be
subject to all sorts of silly safety legislation such as wearing seat

belts,
driving the posted speed limit, obeying traffic robots, driving on the

left
and taking directions from numerous road signs telling you where to stop,
turn, park, yield, merge and not hit children in school zones.

I thought this was supposed to apply in Africa, all of the safety issues you
listed
above are almost totally ignored. If you don't believe me drive along Louis
Botha
during morning rush hour.
Africa doesn't need more road safety legislation, it just needs effective
policing
of the existing legislation. Not the type of policing that can be overcome
with
a R50 contribution to the police benevolent fund, this does nothing to make
road travel safer.
Then again we love to introduce useless legislation that never gets
implemented.
Richard