Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnS

Default What Should I Do in New Zealand?

On Feb 15, 12:32*am, ebeaudry ebeaudry.3nl...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about possibly going to New Zealand for about a week. *I
saw a video with a train ride to Auckland. *I noticed that there is one
that leaves from Christchurch and arrives in Auckland the next day with
a night in Wellington (there's also an option to stay an extra day in
Wellington as well). *Has anyone taken this railway before? *I believe
it's called the TranzCostal and the Overlander.

To be honest you're wasting your time going to NZ for only a week.
Particularly taking a train trip from Christchurch to Auckland.
The train line north of Christchurch is dead flat and boring.
The Transalpine from Christchurch to Greymouth is supposed to be
extremely good.

You would be better off getting a hire car and spending the week in
the South Island only.
The South Island has a very low population and good roads, so the
roads are almost empty. The towns are small and driving is a real
pleasure.
I would drive over Arthurs Pass, down the west coast, Franz Josef
Glacier, Haast Pass, Lake Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound
and then back to Christchurch.

Although to be honest this would probably take a bit more than a week.
Enjoy your trip.