Old April 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Phil Richards

Default Beware - credit card rip-off

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:57:11 +0100 Alec
said...

If they still put through
the transaction in the card's billing currency, refuse to sign the slip and
ask them to void it.

Could prove difficult when paying for goods after you've used or consumed
them - e.g. restaurant or hotel bills. Petrol stations would have
difficulty in asking for your fuel if you didn't want to pay for it! For
shops you could just refuse to buy the goods and walk out which is where
I think the smart consumer will win over this practice.

If they still refuse, tell them you'll ask your card issuer for a
chargeback.

Which is what I've had to do and only for the difference which may not be
a huge amount, but it's the principle that counts. The card receipts are
the only proof of the price in local currency if my experience is
anything to go by. You'll need to keep them and supply copies as evidence
for any dispute. Difficult or impossible for phone or internet
transactions as a credit card receipt isn't always issued. The local
currency or rate of exchange for these DCC type transactions don't appear
on your statement either, just the rate in the currency of the card
issuer.

--
Phil Richards
London