Old December 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

On 30 Nov 2005 02:34:07 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

On 29 Nov 2005 21:48:46 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

The Thai selling fake passports are "on the game". The Thai selling
other fake documents are "on the game". The Thai selling fake purses
and shirts are "on the game". The Thai trying to get the farang to the
gem store are "on the game". The Thai scamming drunk farangs in other
ways are "on the game".

Bull****. "On the game" is a slang term for a prostitute.

No it's not. It may be one way that some people use the term but like
anything else it depends on the context in which it is used. If you
look back at the part of the post you snipped in order to try to prove
your point you'll see that it was used in the context of people trying
to scam drunk farangs. *Very specific* context. But you ignore that
hoping to make your point.

You know it,
I know it, and everyone else knows it. It took me a couple of minutes
to come up with plenty of references which confirm that, the first
half-dozen of which I've listed here. Not a single one of those refers
to any of those other meaning for the term "on the game".

If you look in a dictionary of "sexual slurs" you're going to find
"sexual slurs". Did that surprise you?

You said all
Thai people in Khao San Road are prostitutes and you're not doing a
very good job of squirming your way out of it.

Lying again. Just can't help yourself, can you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexual_slurs#G

And if you read that you'll notice 2 things (I should say if you're
*honest* you'll notice 2 things). One is that this is only used in the
UK that way. I'm not a Brit and neither are the Thai people I was
talking about and they are not in the UK. So UK slang is just a little
bit irrelevant.

So go on then, back up your claims with some evidence, just as I did.
Can you show me some other dictionaries where the meaning of term "on
the game" is listed in any of the other ways you claim it is used?

Here's another one I found:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/be+on+the+game

Second thing is you'll notice that damn near all of the words have
multiple meanings, depending on the context (nasty word for people like
you, "context"). For example "gagy". In one context it means
"homosexual". In another it means "happy". In another it means
"brightly colored". Once again, it depends on the context.

So, yet again, if you look at the whole post (including the part you
snipped) it is very clear the context it was used in.

Well lets compare the ways the term "on the game" is most commonly
used shall we. I did a few Google searches with the following
expressions, and this is what came up.

"on the game" + "prostitute" 20,800 hits
"on the game" + "fake passports" 48 hits
"on the game" + "gem store" 19 hits
"on the game" + "fake shirts" 5 hits

Now which of those expressions does that suggest the term "on the
game" is most normally associated with?

Plus, you specifically added the adjective "normal" to the word Thai.
Again, implying first that the dopes in Khao San Road are "normal" and
second implying that the Thai who associate with farangs in other
places are *not* normal (again, when you said "one of *THE* few
places").

I used the word "normal" and "ordinary" when referring to the Thai
people I saw specifically to distinguish them from the types of people
you are talking about. You've tried to twist that around to show
exactly the opposite but your not doing a very good job of convincing
people.

Context is everything.

One thing is for sure, you don't get many Thai people in the Las Vegas
go-go bar in Pattaya where you reported taking a bunch of girls out
from. And don't worry, before you call me a liar again, there are
enough reference to that scattered around the internet which I can
point to if necessary.

Wrong in so many ways. First, in the go-go bars the employees are all
Thai.

Ha ha ha. The *employees* are Thai. Is that really the best you can
come up to show that Thai people do, in fact, go and mix with
foreigners in the kind of bars foreigners frequent? You get funnier
with every post.

Second, that bar hasn't existed for close to a decade (5 years at
least, more I'm pretty sure). Third, I haven't been in it for a number
of years myself.

Well it certainly existed a few months ago. Its true it has since
changed its name to Nevada, but its the same place inside. After
reading so much about what you'd written about the place, I dropped by
there once, and what did I see inside... the name Tchiowa painted on
the mirror as being one of the customers who "rang the bell" to buy
all the girls a drink, in exchange for which he got a t-shirt and was
able to take home one of the girls for the night.

But going even farther, you seem to think that because someone has
"enjoyed the nightlife" that he is somehow unqualified to comment on
the seedier side of Thailand. Of course just the opposite is true. Plus
the completely irrelevant remark (a la morons like e-Dog and Larby) is
a rather pitiful attempt to jump off the subject with what you thought
would be a clever little personal slur. Didn't work.

No, the only reason I bring this up is because of your hypocrisy with
your demeaning attitude to people who visit places you describe as
"cesspools". You constantly brag about how you stay in 5-star hotels,
and look down your nose at people who choose to stay in cheaper
accommodation. The point is to show that once you're off the newsgroup
you're lifestyle in Thailand is actually very similar to those same
people you were criticising moments before. If you hadn't launched
into your tirade against these people I would never have mentioned it
here.

I didn't say they were prostitutes. I didn't accuse *ANY* of your
friends of being prostitutes. But you said that the people in Khao San
Road are normal and since a very high percentage (again, most?) are
drug dealers, prostitutes, scam artists, counterfeiters, dopers,
drunks, etc. So that means you are saying that is what normal Thai are
like.

No, I'm saying normal people don't do any of those things. In fact we
agree on that. What we don't agree on is the fact that the vast
majority of people in Khao San Road don't do those things. Khao San
Road has changed a lot in recent years, and my observations are based
on what I see there these days. You, who admit you haven't been there
for years, somehow believe its still the way it may have been during
one visit you made a long time ago. You defend your outdated beliefs
like a madman while dismissing anything those of us with more recent
experience say about the place.

Maybe you should quit hanging out in Khao San Road and you'd meet a
completely different class of Thai and have a different opinion of
them.

What other class of Thai?

Employed Thai. Educated Thai. Hard working Thai. Honest Thai. The Thai
that *I* would call "normal". You and I clearly have a different
definition of "normal".

That happens to be more or less the same definition I would use.