Old December 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

"mcdonaldREMOVE wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:

11. Americans don't realize that you don't *have* to 'deep' fry fish.

Americans do, however, realize that if you don't want fried fish, you
shouldn't seek out resturants that sell only fried fish.

My point (which you snipped) was/is that there *are* no other
restaurants (in those areas). So apparently many/most Americans *do* want/
tolerate such 'food'.

If you are reffering to 395, I certainly remember places to
get good fish in both Lone Pine and Bishop.

With "in those areas", I was referring to the coastal places I
mentioned, specifically Morro Bay (just above San Luis Obispo) and
Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco.

*Fisherman*'s Warf and mostly crappy (deep fried) fish? A rather
strange combination, I would think! Case in point: We had
some rather decent (grilled) fish (swordfish, salmon etc. shrimps) in a
restaurant at Fisherman's Warf, but when the waitress gave us our menus,
she said that today's special was salmon. When we asked if it was fried,
she said yes! Sigh!

On 395 we stayed in Bridgeport (i.e. before Bishop). We had deep fried
stuff there, but it was just a simple, mostly take-away place, so we
can't complain about that, and the deep fried fish wasn't that bad.
Actually it was the best of the few times we had it.

We also stayed in Lone Pine, twice. First time we didn't even look for
fish, but had some very nice pizzas (Mind your own bloody business,
Alan! :-)). I can't go into details about our second stay because that
would reveal too much information in this public forum. (However, you
can probably put two and two together, and come up with something quite
close or equal to four.)