Old September 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

Default Monterey and/or aquariums. was: TRAVEL USA. L.A., Yosemite, Colorado

Monterey is lovely and oozes with historic and architectural
interest. It also has what's probably the best aquarium on Earth.

In article . com,
Chuck wrote:
I felt utterly ripped off upon leaving that aquarium.....in
retrospect it does an excellent job of showing the local underwater
scene, but doesnt do a good job of much more....

Well it's a sort of gift/employment for David Packard's daugther.
It links the film Star Trek IV to people's memories. Personally I think
the price is a bit steep, but Monterey isn't cheap

Architects are overrated.

on the other hand, the Aquarium in Camden, NJ, holy smokes is that
place amazing....imho, any discussion for best aquarium has to start
with camden....

of course, you may get shot, pimped, or assaulted by offers to buy
drugs going to camden, but if you are in philly, you can safely take
the ferry across......

OK, I'll bite. I've not been there. What makes Camden's so good?
What makes for a good aquarium (any)?

I'm trying to think what I have for a basis for comparison (nothing
great). I grew up near Marineland, the Bridges family lived up the
coast in Malibu, did also visit the sorry aquarium at Pier 39, SF GG
Park has an OK small one, Sea World(s) have their nicities. Others in
Seward, Hawaii (also took the sub tour), Lisbon, and various descendents
of Flipper in the Keys. And I don't try to go out of my way to visit
aquariums. They seem to be mostly for the kids and land lubbers.
I have to visit Seattle's soon. I'm trying to remember if I really saw
an aquarium in Iceland on Haemay.