Old October 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

On 25 Oct, 13:16, me wrote:
On Oct 25, 12:36 am, mrtravel wrote:
[snip]

It is interesting when standing by for a flight or upgrade on AA, and
they tell you they can't add you to the list, because "first class has
checked in full"..

I was flying out of Washington National one time, near a weekend,
and some guy in front of me was trying to upgrade to FC. The
agent told him she'd put him on "the list". He authoritatively
informed
her that he was "platinum medallion" or some such designation.
He seemed quite proud of his status. She drolly informed him that
that is why he was on the list at all. About that time some
congressman that I recognized at the time strolled out of the
elevator. The guy ultimately ended up in coach with me. I
strongly suspect the agent wanted to tell the guy he didn't have
a prayer.

Sometimes you can get bumped (downgraded) even though you booked the
higher class. This can happen on the
more popular routes.

Someone I know got a free upgrade from econ to FC transatlantic, which
is as rare as hens teeth. But of course
if you do get upgraded they can sometimes change their mind before
departure ... the Lord Give'th and the Lord Take'th Away...