Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default Princess Cruise shipboard account question

Bill wrote:
On 3/1/2010 9:05 PM, Marcia R. wrote:
George Leppla wrote:
1) Open your account on the ship with a credit card as usual. Then go
to the Purser's Desk and ask them to place $XXX amount of cash on your
account and give them the cash. When that is used up, the balance will
be charged to your credit card. If you do not use all of it up, the
remaining money will be refunded to you in a check the last morning of
the cruise.

If we use up the cash, can we then put stuff on a credit card or is it
only cash at that point?

Marcia

Just do option 1 and they'll have your credit card to charge when you
run out of money that you have deposited. Seems like a lot of work for
something that can easily be accomplished by sending the money to your
credit card and just charging your onboard stuff. Also, did you ask the
cruise line if they would just apply the credit directly to your onboard
account? I would have thought that would be the best thing for them.

BTW, why would you pay for your cruise in cash? Presumably you did not
give it to the cruise line so it had to go through a travel agent. You
have absolutely no protection against fraud if you pay in cash. And you
lose at least 1% in rebates you could get by using a credit, not to
mention the protection in case anything goes wrong.

Bill

I had a bunch of cash saved up (there are advantages to living in Las
Vegas. LOL) and didn't want to put it through my checking account. We
paid through the Auto Club. We have the insurance, so I'm not sure what
fraud you think might happen. I just wanted to pay for it and be done.

Marcia