Old December 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:
Des Small wrote:

Although Germans can be quite friendly and helpful to tourists, some
observers have called the country a service desert. Berlin, where the World
Cup final will be played, is notorious for its surly, inattentive waiters
and shopkeepers.

It is? My German is modest, to say the least, and they were perfectly
pleasant to me.

The writer was confusing Paris with Berlin. I found Berliners very nice.
It's not an effusive friendliness- and I found them quite laid back-
which is not to say reserved.

Genau.

--
Julie