Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Taiwan

In article , SMS says...
Take the MTR out to the northern end to Tanshui. Walk along the
waterfront. Lots of good restaurants out there. Buy some iron eggs which
they are famous for.

Got it... it's called Danshui on Google Maps. I guess you mean the
waterfront on Huanhe road extending northwest along the river, 1km+
long?

Go to Yanmingshan National Park. Look for the giant cows, but I've never
found them. There's a bus from Taipei that goes there if you don't have
a car.

Go over the mountains to Keelung and drive back to Taipei around the
northern coast (assuming you have a car).

Is it for the scenery?

The Palace Museum has a lot of the treasures that the Kuomintang took
with them when they left China.

Photography not allowed there :-(

The Shilin Night Market (on the MTR line).

I think I've been there in 2005 (visited Taipei for a few days back
then).

Taipei Zoo, on the MTR line, go on a weekday because on the weekends it
is incredibly crowded.

Should be interesting for the kids.

Sun Yatsen memorial, Chiang Kai Shek memorial (even if you didn't like
him, it's interesting), 228 Peace Memorial Park.

Been there in 2005.

Costco. No MTR, take the bus.

This is a mall, right?

Can't help you south of Taipei.

Ok, but is there anything historical or natural sights outside Taipei?
Or was it the trip to Keelung and back?

Is it easy to rent a car in Taiwan? And is it easy to drive?
--

Alfred Molon