Old January 14th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Andrew

Default Carry-ons (Opinions?)

In rec.travel.air Jim Davis Sr. wrote:
: Here's a question for discussion;
: What's your opinion on carry-ons.
: I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
: Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
: stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to sit
: with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
: circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly large
: bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1 bag
: rule.

Sometimes the security people enforce the rule, however. In November
I was flying out of EWR but hadn't packed quite well enough to fit
everything in my one carry-on and my laptop case. So I carried my
little carry-on suitcase, my laptop, and a shopping bag that was only
half full. The security checkpoint person turned me away, saying I
could have only one bag and one personal item. So I got out of line,
put the laptop in the shopping bag, and went back through and he let
me pass, because technically, now, I was in compliance.

I thought the purpose of this FAA rule was to reduce the burden on the
security screeners by reducing the amount of carry-on luggage they
would need to screen?

Andrew
--
---- Portland, Oregon, USA ----