Old May 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Royal Carribbean/Antilles

On Tue, 3 May 2011 08:19:40 -0700, (mar jon) wrote:

We're planning a cruise on Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaviral,
Fl. either late Aug. or sometime in Sept.

They have reduced rates during that period and are offering some good
discounts on board
such as a free spa treatment(with balcony) free dinner in one of
speciality restaurants, etc.

It all sounds like a good deal, about $2,400 for two, but I am concerned
about the possibility of Tropical Storms and/or Hurricanes.

Does anybody have any info or experience about the Carribbean that time
of the year?

Hurricanes are particularly plentiful as the season 'heats up'. So
there's not so many in June or July and August and September are
pretty busy. Some years there are a lot and they get completely
through the alphabet and have to start on numbers. We've been on a
cruise in November (2005) where we had to avoid Wilma and there were
several after that.

However hurricanes generally follow a track of the other hurricanes -
that's why there were so many Gulf Coast hurricanes around the time of
Katrina, and there was a nasty amount of hurricanes that hit the east
coast of FL one year. Sometimes they just go up the middle of the
Atlantic. They seem to make a kind of groove or rut in the
atmosphere when they pass and the next hurricane follows (for a little
while at least).

Anyway, unless hurricanes threaten the port that you are leaving from,
the cruise ship will probably avoid the hurricane. It may be rough
though.