Old August 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

Default Fourth London airport

"JohnT" wrote in message ...

"tim....." wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

Any one got any ideas or alternatives to either a third Heathrow
runway (Gawd help us all, a bigger and even less efficient Heathrow)
or 'Boris Island' in the Thames Estuary, which would cost as much as
our nuclear deterrent replacement...

I think that we should build a second runway at Gatwick.

It will affect a tiny fraction of the people that the extra runway at LHR
will affect and already has better rail connections and serves a more
populous non London catchment than STN.

I agree with Simon Jenkins from what someone posted on a different group
this morning:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...willy-politics

That is, we do not need extra runways to create a bigger hub. If the aim
of the extra runway is to create growth then that growth is not helped one
tiny little bit by people in-lining airside. if (however) London business
does need more runway capacity for origination and terminating passengers
that does not need to be at LHR and LGW is just as good IMHO

But a second runway at Gatwick is not possible until 2019 at the earliest:

So we wait until 2019 to start to build.

It will take 2 or 3 years to get through planning anyway, so we're only
going to lose a few years.

And a new runway will (almost certainly) need a new terminal (and links to
the railway) which will take longer to build than a runway so we can start
that before 2019 as it isn't technically "building the runway".

tim